Re: [shinlist] Re: the Nenju and the Number of Beads

  • José Tirado
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 15, 2003
      Hello Rick,
      I thank you for your graciousness in apologizing.  It rubs out any thought of me rubbing in your awareness!
      It is an issue you are 100% right in saying has no fundamental importance to the development of your faith.  But for many of us, it adorns the process with beauty and tangible meaning...
      �Nuff said...
      In gassho,
      Jos�
      (Shaku Kokai)

      "Thus, when one has boarded the ship of the Vow of great compassion and sailed out on the vast ocean of light, the winds of perfect virtue blow softly and the waves of evil are transformed. The darkness of ignorance is immediately broken through, and quickly reaching the land of immeasurable light, one realizes great nirvana and acts in accord with the virtue of Samantabhadra. Let this be known."
      --Shinran Shonin, KGSS II 72-78

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Richard St. Clair
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 15, 2003
        Re: [shinlist] Re: the Nenju and the Number of Beads
        dear JosÈ,

        Thank you for appending this beautiful (no, *stunning*) quotation from Shinran.  Even his "prose" is poetry.  Is the translation from the Hongwanji Collected Works of Shinran? They did a great job translating (actually, I think Dennis Hirota did most of the work).

        (Shaku Egen)

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 15, 2003
          Hi Rick,
          Yes its from the Collected Works online edition.
          It became my "signature" quite by (serendipitous?) accident.
          I chose my homyo, Kokai ("Ocean of Light")  in honor of my late father who was a merchant marine for many, many years and from whom I get my intense love for the sound and expression of the ocean.  I chose the name also for its mixture of images that rang true to my former study and practice of Dzogchen and Mahamudra.  Then after Tokudo, I came home and one day dcided to type in the keywords ocean of light into Google, got directed to the Collected Works and found this most perfect of quotes that just sent me over the edge in joy (ocean pun unintended).  Yes it is splendid and you are right, his writing soars on many an occasion.
          In gassho,
          Jose
          (Shaku Kokai)

          "Richard St. Clair" <stclair@...> wrote:
          dear Jos�,

[...]

        • Clifton Ong
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 15, 2003
            Hahaha (just joking!). Glad you managed to find your
            own set in the end.
            Gassho,
            Clifton

            =====