[shinlist] Re: onenju

  • Richard St. Clair
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
      > Richard and the other guy-So you're saying I should trust your
      >opinions, opinions of people I've never met and could be anybody,
      >over those of a minister I know and trust?>>

      Dear chw:

      The "other guy" is Jim Davis, who has organized and led a Jodo
      Shinshu group in Missouri for many years. I value his opinions
      highly.

      No one was asking you to trust my opinion. This is an electronic
      forum, and it is assumed people will express their opinions. Things
      can even get quite heated. It is expected that there will be
      disagreements from time to time. I do not believe I expressed my
      opinions in an egregious manner, though it has become clear that you
      were offended. I am glad you have a good relationship with a Shin
      minister. That can make all the difference.

      > You need to get away from
      >the keyboard and learn some social skills.

      Perhaps so. I think we can all stand some improvement in this area.

      > I was asking a question
      >that had absolutely nothing to do with your opinion an eve

      I am sorry if I offended you. Personally, *I* get impatient when
      people spend what I think is a lot of time worrying about
      formalities. But that's my problem.

      >I know all
      >about the history and don't need your reinterpretation of it.

      As I said, you can expect any variety of opinions to be stated on
      this forum. I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I didn't
      realize you were so well versed in Shinshu history. The nature of
      your question led me to believe otherwise. I merely wished to divert
      your attention from formalities to spiritualities. I now see that
      was a mistake.

      >I'm
      >remembering now why I unsubscribed to other lists now, thought I
      >could avoid the usual unpleasantness-guess that was a mistake.

      Unpleasantness is in the eye of the beholder. Again, I am sorry if I
      caused you discomfort. Perhaps electronic forums are not the way for
      you to go if you are sensitive to opinions contrary to your own.

    • hpl_fan
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
        --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "homitsu" <homitsu@s...> wrote:
        > Richard and the other guy-So you're saying I should trust your
        > opinions, opinions of people I've never met and could be anybody,
        > over those of a minister I know and trust? You need to get away
        from
        > the keyboard and learn some social skills. I was asking a question
        > that had absolutely nothing to do with your opinion an everything
        > do with beginning a new part of my spiritual development. I know
        all
        > about the history and don't need your reinterpretation of it. I'm
        > remembering now why I unsubscribed to other lists now, thought I
        > could avoid the usual unpleasantness-guess that was a mistake.

        homistsu, I'm afraid that you need to calm down and see the reality
        of the situation. I was offended myself at Richard's initial
        repsponse as o-nenju are an important part of my personal practice.
        But it is not because they provide some ritual for me, but rather
        that they provide me with a reminder of diffent aspects of the
        Dharma, all of which remind me to be more mindfull in my hearing the
        Amida's infinite light. Richard was reacting to the concept of
        ritualized approaches to the Dharma, not to your personal practice.
        I think both side of this could have been more compasionate and
        constructive.

        As to the original question that started all of this, there are
        several traditional forms of o-juzu but o-nenju are for your
        personal connection to the Amida. Ask the Amida what form your
        practice should take, given an understanding of what has come
        before. I think we can all benefit from that approach.
      • Doreen Kamada-Fujii
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
          --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "homitsu" <homitsu@s...> wrote:
          > Hi-I'm familiar with Buddhist malas in general but am seeking info
          on
          > the Shin kind: how many beads does one usually have? Any special
          > length? Any info would be gratefully received-thanks-chw

          *looks at the other replies, and blinks* Wow. Ummmm...

          Quite honestly, I don't think there IS a 'usual' number of beads for
          what I've seen called the 'half' ojuzu, which is what I generally see
          at BCA temples. The number of beads in addition to the oyadama
          (large bead with three holes) and two side beads more depends on the
          _size_ of the beads used, and how large the ojuzu needs to be to
          complete the circle around the user's hands; I'm sure if I was to
          gather up all the ojuzu in the house, I'd find different numbers of
          beads in each of them, depending upon if it's a woman's, man's, or
          child's ojuzu.

          When you get into the elastic wrist ojuzu, that clouds the issue even
          more: the one I wear all the time has a long oyadama bead with the
          kanji characters for 'namuamidabutsu', two 'side' beads, and
          11 'other' beads interspersed between them.

          I'd have to say that other than the 'basic' form: oyadama and two
          side/parent beads...the number of 'other' beads really doesn't
          matter, but just depends upon size of bead and finished ojuzu. After
          all, our DS kids make these all the time as craft projects, and those
          are just as often 'used' as ones we buy :)

          Hope this helps :)

          Gassho,
          Doreen/Shaku ni Myo Jun