Re: onenju

  • pcjewel
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2003
      I've just now joined this group as a result of seraching for some
      answers to the questions you have posed. I've found a very good web
      page with pictures and offers some worthwhile explanations. It is
      www.geocities.com/fascin8or/jsp_nenju_juzu.htm Hope this has been
      some help. Namu Amida Butsu.
      -- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "homitsu" <homitsu@s...> wrote:
      > Hi-I'm familiar with Buddhist malas in general but am seeking info
      on
      > the Shin kind: how many beads does one usually have? Any special
      > length? Any info would be gratefully received-thanks-chw
    • Richard St. Clair
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
        >Hi-I'm familiar with Buddhist malas in general but am seeking info on
        >the Shin kind: how many beads does one usually have? Any special
        >length? Any info would be gratefully received-thanks-chw

        What's more important, counting how many beads in your onenju or
        attaining birth in the Pure Land?

        Sheesh!

        in gassho,
      • Christine Homitsu White
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8, 2003
          Have you got an anger problem pal? The minister suggested it when I wrote
          him for advice and he didn't say anything about counting, just to use it as
          a mnemonic device. Since Rennyo Shonin said "Praying without a nenju is
          like grabbing at the Buddha" I thought I'd like to get it right. Waiting
          for your apology-chw

          At 11:18 AM 12/8/03 -0500, you wrote:
          > >Hi-I'm familiar with Buddhist malas in general but am seeking info on
          > >the Shin kind: how many beads does one usually have? Any special
          > >length? Any info would be gratefully received-thanks-chw
          > >

          >What's more important, counting how many beads in your onenju or
          >attaining birth in the Pure Land?
          >
          >Sheesh!
          >
          >in gassho,
          >Rick
          >--

        • Clifton Ong
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
            Rick, i have to agree with Christine, your tone was a
            little overboard here.
            Gassho,
            Clifton

            --- Christine Homitsu White <homitsu@...>
            wrote:
            > Have you got an anger problem pal? The minister
            > suggested it when I wrote
            > him for advice and he didn't say anything about
            > counting, just to use it as
            > a mnemonic device. Since Rennyo Shonin said "Praying
            > without a nenju is
            > like grabbing at the Buddha" I thought I'd like to
            > get it right. Waiting
            > for your apology-chw
            >

            > At 11:18 AM 12/8/03 -0500, you wrote:
            > > >Hi-I'm familiar with Buddhist malas in general
            > but am seeking info on
            > > >the Shin kind: how many beads does one usually
            > have? Any special
            > > >length? Any info would be gratefully
            > received-thanks-chw
            > > >

            > >What's more important, counting how many beads in
            > your onenju or
            > >attaining birth in the Pure Land?
            > >
            > >Sheesh!
            > >
            > >in gassho,
            > >Rick
            > >--

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            =====
            Gassho,
            Clifton Ong (Shaku Do Tatsu)

            Email: sanath_sg@...

            Homepage: http://honganmission.cjb.net/

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • Richard St. Clair
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
              Dear chw,
              "Pal"? Do *you* have an anger problem? LOL. Now let's stop the
              nonsense and get serious.

              Fyi, Rennyo was a religionist and was into formalism. He was
              interested in establishing Jodo Shinshu as a formal sect, with all
              the trappings that entailed. I am more interested in the simple ways
              of the myokonin, and Shinran's quiet and unassuming spirituality. I
              doubt Shinran would make a big deal out of how many beads were in a
              nenju. I think it is unfortunate that Jodo Shinshu is encumbered by
              a lot of procedural nonsense like ceremonies, beads, and incense. It
              resembles Roman Catholicism.

              I'm reminded of a story about a myokonin (though he wasn't designated
              such at the time), who was without shelter and came to sleep in a
              Shin temple. The priest told him to get out. He answered, "This is
              my home. Where is yours?"

              >Have you got an anger problem pal? The minister suggested it when I wrote
              >him for advice and he didn't say anything about counting, just to use it as
              >a mnemonic device. Since Rennyo Shonin said "Praying without a nenju is
              >like grabbing at the Buddha" I thought I'd like to get it right. Waiting
              >for your apology-chw
              >

              >At 11:18 AM 12/8/03 -0500, you wrote:
              >> >Hi-I'm familiar with Buddhist malas in general but am seeking info on
              >> >the Shin kind: how many beads does one usually have? Any special
              >> >length? Any info would be gratefully received-thanks-chw
              >> >

              >>What's more important, counting how many beads in your onenju or
              >>attaining birth in the Pure Land?
              >>
              >>Sheesh!
              >>
              >>in gassho,
              >>Rick
              >>--

              Richard St. Clair
              Office Assistant
              Information Services & Technology
              W92-110
              tel.: 617 - 253-1514
              fax: 617 - 258-8736
            • Richard St. Clair
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
                >Rick, i have to agree with Christine, your tone was a
                >little overboard here.
                >Gassho,
                >Clifton

                Clifton,
                See my latest message. No need to make a federal case out of this.

              • Jim
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
                  I agree with Richard here...beads are just religious
                  props. If you feel you need them, use them but it does
                  not matter one iota the number of beads they possess.
                  And if you dont need them, then dont its still "all
                  good."

                  Yes, jodoshinshu needs to return to its roots in
                  shinran's experiance and cast away the layers of
                  ritualism, and funeral buddhism, which have
                  accumulated over the years. There was a good reason
                  that Pure Land ispired peasants set fire to Buddhist
                  temples during the Middle ages in China, Korea and
                  Japan.

                  in gassho,

                  jim davis

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/
                • homitsu
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
                    Richard and the other guy-So you're saying I should trust your
                    opinions, opinions of people I've never met and could be anybody,
                    over those of a minister I know and trust? You need to get away from
                    the keyboard and learn some social skills. I was asking a question
                    that had absolutely nothing to do with your opinion an everything to
                    do with beginning a new part of my spiritual development. I know all
                    about the history and don't need your reinterpretation of it. I'm
                    remembering now why I unsubscribed to other lists now, thought I
                    could avoid the usual unpleasantness-guess that was a mistake.
                  • Richard St. Clair
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
                      > Richard and the other guy-So you're saying I should trust your
                      >opinions, opinions of people I've never met and could be anybody,
                      >over those of a minister I know and trust?>>

                      Dear chw:

                      The "other guy" is Jim Davis, who has organized and led a Jodo
                      Shinshu group in Missouri for many years. I value his opinions
                      highly.

                      No one was asking you to trust my opinion. This is an electronic
                      forum, and it is assumed people will express their opinions. Things
                      can even get quite heated. It is expected that there will be
                      disagreements from time to time. I do not believe I expressed my
                      opinions in an egregious manner, though it has become clear that you
                      were offended. I am glad you have a good relationship with a Shin
                      minister. That can make all the difference.

                      > You need to get away from
                      >the keyboard and learn some social skills.

                      Perhaps so. I think we can all stand some improvement in this area.

                      > I was asking a question
                      >that had absolutely nothing to do with your opinion an eve

                      I am sorry if I offended you. Personally, *I* get impatient when
                      people spend what I think is a lot of time worrying about
                      formalities. But that's my problem.

                      >I know all
                      >about the history and don't need your reinterpretation of it.

                      As I said, you can expect any variety of opinions to be stated on
                      this forum. I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I didn't
                      realize you were so well versed in Shinshu history. The nature of
                      your question led me to believe otherwise. I merely wished to divert
                      your attention from formalities to spiritualities. I now see that
                      was a mistake.

                      >I'm
                      >remembering now why I unsubscribed to other lists now, thought I
                      >could avoid the usual unpleasantness-guess that was a mistake.

                      Unpleasantness is in the eye of the beholder. Again, I am sorry if I
                      caused you discomfort. Perhaps electronic forums are not the way for
                      you to go if you are sensitive to opinions contrary to your own.

                    • hpl_fan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
                        --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "homitsu" <homitsu@s...> wrote:
                        > Richard and the other guy-So you're saying I should trust your
                        > opinions, opinions of people I've never met and could be anybody,
                        > over those of a minister I know and trust? You need to get away
                        from
                        > the keyboard and learn some social skills. I was asking a question
                        > that had absolutely nothing to do with your opinion an everything
                        > do with beginning a new part of my spiritual development. I know
                        all
                        > about the history and don't need your reinterpretation of it. I'm
                        > remembering now why I unsubscribed to other lists now, thought I
                        > could avoid the usual unpleasantness-guess that was a mistake.

                        homistsu, I'm afraid that you need to calm down and see the reality
                        of the situation. I was offended myself at Richard's initial
                        repsponse as o-nenju are an important part of my personal practice.
                        But it is not because they provide some ritual for me, but rather
                        that they provide me with a reminder of diffent aspects of the
                        Dharma, all of which remind me to be more mindfull in my hearing the
                        Amida's infinite light. Richard was reacting to the concept of
                        ritualized approaches to the Dharma, not to your personal practice.
                        I think both side of this could have been more compasionate and
                        constructive.

                        As to the original question that started all of this, there are
                        several traditional forms of o-juzu but o-nenju are for your
                        personal connection to the Amida. Ask the Amida what form your
                        practice should take, given an understanding of what has come
                        before. I think we can all benefit from that approach.
                      • Doreen Kamada-Fujii
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 9, 2003
                          --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "homitsu" <homitsu@s...> wrote:
                          > Hi-I'm familiar with Buddhist malas in general but am seeking info
                          on
                          > the Shin kind: how many beads does one usually have? Any special
                          > length? Any info would be gratefully received-thanks-chw

                          *looks at the other replies, and blinks* Wow. Ummmm...

                          Quite honestly, I don't think there IS a 'usual' number of beads for
                          what I've seen called the 'half' ojuzu, which is what I generally see
                          at BCA temples. The number of beads in addition to the oyadama
                          (large bead with three holes) and two side beads more depends on the
                          _size_ of the beads used, and how large the ojuzu needs to be to
                          complete the circle around the user's hands; I'm sure if I was to
                          gather up all the ojuzu in the house, I'd find different numbers of
                          beads in each of them, depending upon if it's a woman's, man's, or
                          child's ojuzu.

                          When you get into the elastic wrist ojuzu, that clouds the issue even
                          more: the one I wear all the time has a long oyadama bead with the
                          kanji characters for 'namuamidabutsu', two 'side' beads, and
                          11 'other' beads interspersed between them.

                          I'd have to say that other than the 'basic' form: oyadama and two
                          side/parent beads...the number of 'other' beads really doesn't
                          matter, but just depends upon size of bead and finished ojuzu. After
                          all, our DS kids make these all the time as craft projects, and those
                          are just as often 'used' as ones we buy :)

                          Hope this helps :)

                          Gassho,
                          Doreen/Shaku ni Myo Jun