New here

  • antivon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2003
      Hello
      I am Yvonne and I live near Dallas, Texas. I am a beginner in Shin
      Buddhism and will probably be lurking more than posting at first,
      just trying to learn. If there are any Shin Buddhism resources near
      Dallas, I haven't found them. Mostly I've been reading on my own, but
      it's a poor education to be self-taught
      Hope to learn from y'all!!

      Yvonne P
    • Peter C. Skye
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2003
        On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:09:50 -0000, antivon wrote:
        >Hello I am Yvonne and I live near Dallas, Texas. I am a beginner in
        >Shin Buddhism and will probably be lurking more than posting at
        >first, just trying to learn. If there are any Shin Buddhism
        >resources near Dallas, I haven't found them. Mostly I've been
        >reading on my own, but it's a poor education to be self-taught Hope
        >to learn from y'all!!
        >
        >Yvonne P

        Hi Yvonne,

        It's no fun being a Shin Buddhist in the hinterlands. I'm in Central
        Kentucky and there are no Shin communities for hours and hours. I
        suspect the same is true for you in Dallas. Cheer up, though. There
        are several good Shin cyber sanghas online and they can go a long way
        to making you feel connected.

        You aren't alone.

        Gassho
        Peter Skye
      • Yvonne Perkins
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2003
          Thanks for the welcome, Peter.
          I do belong to the cyber-sanga of the Hongwanji Hongpa
          Hawaii Betsuin and receive their newsletter. From time
          to time I download .wav files of the services from a
          Seattle Buddhist Church of America. I keep meaning to
          ask if the Hongwanji Hongpa will tape some of their
          classes or services.
          Talk to you later!!
          Yvonne P

          --- "Peter C. Skye" <pcskye@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:09:50 -0000, antivon wrote:
          > >Hello I am Yvonne and I live near Dallas, Texas. I
          > am a beginner in
          > >Shin Buddhism and will probably be lurking more
          > than posting at
          > >first, just trying to learn. If there are any Shin
          > Buddhism
          > >resources near Dallas, I haven't found them. Mostly
          > I've been
          > >reading on my own, but it's a poor education to be
          > self-taught Hope
          > >to learn from y'all!!
          > >
          > >Yvonne P
          >
          > Hi Yvonne,
          >
          > It's no fun being a Shin Buddhist in the
          > hinterlands. I'm in Central
          > Kentucky and there are no Shin communities for hours
          > and hours. I
          > suspect the same is true for you in Dallas. Cheer
          > up, though. There
          > are several good Shin cyber sanghas online and they
          > can go a long way
          > to making you feel connected.
          >
          > You aren't alone.
          >
          > Gassho
          > Peter Skye

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Jason
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
            I am new here. I lived in a town where there was a tample before, but
            now I live in a small place where I don't have much contact.

            I am fairly new to Buddhism, less than a year. One of the things I
            have enjoyed about Buddhism is the openess to discussion, over the
            belief that there is a strict doctorine that only the clergy are
            privy to. I like discussing things and forming my own opinions.

            -Jason
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
              In a message dated 10/2/04 11:45:56 AM, jason@... writes:

              << I am new here. I lived in a town where there was a tample before, but

              now I live in a small place where I don't have much contact.

              I am fairly new to Buddhism, less than a year. One of the things I

              have enjoyed about Buddhism is the openess to discussion, over the

              belief that there is a strict doctorine that only the clergy are

              privy to. I like discussing things and forming my own opinions.

              -Jason >>

              Welcome to the Shinlist, Jason - glad to see you posting here. The
              activity on this list varies. Sometimes there is very heavy traffic,
              other times (like now) there is very little activity. So be patient!
              Sooner or later things will rev up again, and feel free to ask
              questions. Hopefully (and probably) people here will have answers,
              though the answers may vary!

              be well,
              in gassho,
              Rick