Re: Amitabha and Kuan Yin

  • Joe <pines39@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2002
      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard St. Clair" <stclair@m...>
      wrote:
      > Since no one has said so thus far, I just wanted to note that
      > bodhisattva Kwan Yin (or Kannon, or Avalokitesvara) and another
      > bodhisattva Seishi (Mahasthamaprapta) are the two bodhisattvas that
      > attend Amida Buddha, as noted in the Meditation Sutra.
      Avalokitesvara
      > represents the boundless compassion of Amida, while
      Mahasthamaprapta
      > represents Amida's boundless wisdom.

      Thanks for your reply Richard. Interesting note here is that I
      recently came across your Shin Homepage for the Boston Sangha as I
      was looking for a Sangha close to me. I'm in Pittsburgh, which is a
      ways away, but so far Boston is the closest Sangha I found. Do you
      know of any other Sanghas or anyone that practices near Pittsburgh?
      Just wondering.

      Happy New Year,
      pines
    • Eric Jautee & family <eric.jauteev@wanad
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- About the links between Amida and Kuan Yin:
        ** Thank you for the hint towards the Meditation Sutra, which
        speaks about this theme (the Lotus Sutra is very clear also and
        honors greatly Avalokitesvara/Kwannon/Kuan Yin).
        --I found it at:
        http://web.mit.edu/stclair/www/meditationsutra.html
        --(as usually, Richard St Clair gives us easy-to-find web sites for
        reading the major sutras. Thanks, R.S.C.!)
        ** Yes, the "Amida trio", the classic picture of Amitabha with His
        two Bodisattvas, among them Kuan Yin, is a good inspiring
        demonstration of the links between them. So, it is very popular.
        **Namu Amida Butsu.
      • Jerome Ducor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
          <eric.jauteev@...> wrote:

          > ** The official Shinshu seems having no official
          > cult for Kuan Yin.
          > (but the domestic cult probably has more statues of
          > Kuan Yin,
          > the popularity of which is widespread).
          Jodo-Shinshu has no cult for Avalokitesvara at all,
          because all buddhas and bodhisattvas are included
          within Amida Butsu. Accordingly Amida Butsu is the
          only object of reverence (go-honzon) in Shinshu.
          While Jodo-shu altars may include Amida Triad
          including
          Amida, Kannon and Daiseishi.

          > ** But the Shin Buddhism diffuses widely the Lotus
          > Sutra, which
          > has a chapter about Avalokitesvara-Kuan Yin.
          No, Shin Buddhism does not diffuses the Lotus Sutra at
          all. It is not quoted by Shinran.

          > ** A major fact: Shinran recognized Shotoku Taishi
          > as a
          > reincarnation of Avalokitesvara-Kuan Yin.
          Right. And Shinran identified also his wife Eshin-ni
          as a manifestation of Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara (jap.
          Kannon) too.

          Happy new year!
          gassho
          Jerome Ducor