Re: [shinlist] Tannisho

  • Clifton Ong
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
      Good day,
      few of the best editions and commentaries available
      are:
      a) A Lament of Divergences - Collected Works of
      Shinran, Hongwanji International Centre, Japan
      b) Tannisho: A Resource for Modern Living - Rev Dr
      Alfred Bloom, Buddhist Study Centre, Hawaii
      c) Tannisho, A Shin Buddhist Classic - Rev Unno
      Taitetsu, Buddhist Study Centre Press, Hawaii
      Books (a) and (c) are the actual texts, (b) is a
      commentary.
      In gassho,
      Clifton (Dodatsu)

      --- montcomd1 <montcomd1@...> wrote:
      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > I would like to ask a question of this board: What
      > is the best
      > edition of Tannisho (with commentaries) for a
      > beginning reader in
      > Shin Buddhism?
      >
      > I have just finished "River of Fire, River of
      > Water", and was much
      > impressed. And I am also taking Alfred Bloom's
      > online course in shin
      > Buddhism. Now I feel the need to move on to actual
      > texts in this
      > tradition.
      >
      > Thank you in advance for your replies!

      =====
      Gassho,
      Clifton Ong (Shaku Do Tatsu)

      Email: sanath_sg@...

      Homepage: http://honganmission.cjb.net/

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Richard St. Clair
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
        >Dear Friends,
        >
        >I would like to ask a question of this board: What is the best
        >edition of Tannisho (with commentaries) for a beginning reader in
        >Shin Buddhism?

        In my opinion the best is

        _Tannisho: A Shin Buddhist Classic_, sayings of Shinran as
        memorialized by his pupil Yuienbo, translated, edited and with
        explanatory notes by Taitetsu Unno (revised edition, 1996).
        Paperback, $12.95 plus shipping. For sale at the Honpa
        Hongwanji Mission of Hawaii bookstore, 1747 Pali Highway, Honolulu,
        HI 96813, tel. 808-522-9200.
        in gassho,
        Richard
      • Rob Findlay
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 16 4:40 PM
          Does anyone know where i can get a copy of

          Tannisho by Taitetsu Unno

          --
          With Palms - Togther, Rob Findlay
          Homepage | http://robfindlay.org
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 16 6:09 PM
            --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Findlay" <rob@r...> wrote:

            Hi there :)

            You could try the BCA bookstore (phone/snailmail only, unfortunately :
            ( ), the Hawaii Honpa Hongwanji Mission Booktstore:
            http://www.hongwanjihawaii.com/honpa/links/index.html or Amazon; if
            you'd like to read Rev. Unno's Tannisho, it's available here:
            http://www.livingdharma.org/Tannisho/TannishoContents.html

            The West Covina Buddhist Temple's "Living Dharma Library" has many
            good articles on it: http://www.livingdharma.org/Library.html .

            Hope this helps...namuamidabutsu :)

            gassho,
            Doreen/Shaku ni Myo Jun

            > Does anyone know where i can get a copy of
            >

            > Tannisho by Taitetsu Unno
            >
            > --
            > With Palms - Togther, Rob Findlay
            > Homepage | http://robfindlay.org
            > Blog | http://robfindlay.org/mt/
            > --
            > "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream
            > of the future, concentrate the mind on
            > the present moment."
            > - Shakyamuni Buddha
          • Rob Findlay
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 16 7:19 PM
              Oh hey, thanks for the link to it...i'll be abusing the printer privledges
              at work shorty....ahhaha okay not really they makes us pay for personal
              copies!

              Then a quick trip to kinko's for some binding and i'm good to go.

              Rob Findlay

              Doreen Kamada-Fujii said:

              > --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Findlay"
              > <rob@r...> wrote:
              >
              > Hi there :)
              >
              > You could try the BCA bookstore (phone/snailmail only, unfortunately : (
              > ), the Hawaii Honpa Hongwanji Mission Booktstore:
              > http://www.hongwanjihawaii.com/honpa/links/index.html or Amazon; if
              > you'd like to read Rev. Unno's Tannisho, it's available here:
              > http://www.livingdharma.org/Tannisho/TannishoContents.html
              >
              > The West Covina Buddhist Temple's "Living Dharma Library" has
              > many good articles on it: http://www.livingdharma.org/Library.html .
              >
              > Hope this helps...namuamidabutsu :)
              >
              > gassho,
              > Doreen/Shaku ni Myo Jun
              >

              > > Does anyone know where i can get a copy of
              > >

              > > Tannisho  by Taitetsu Unno
              > >
              > > --
              > > With Palms - Togther, Rob Findlay
              > > Homepage | http://robfindlay.org
              > > Blog     | http://robfindlay.org/mt/
              > > --
              > > "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream
              > > of the future, concentrate the mind on
              > > the present moment."
              > >  - Shakyamuni Buddha
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              > To visit your group on the web, go
              > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shinlist/  To unsubscribe from

              With Palms - Togther, Rob Findlay
              Homepage | http://robfindlay.org
              Blog | http://robfindlay.org/mt/
              --
              "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream
              of the future, concentrate the mind on
              the present moment."
              - Shakyamuni Buddha
            • Shaku Kyobo
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 16 8:40 PM
                I used to read fiction a lot when I was younger, but in my later years it's been
                non-fiction -- religion and current events mostly. However, I decided to read
                Ruth Tabrah's historical fiction THE MONK WHO DARED and I really enjoyed it.
                Tabrah took the few facts we have about Shinran's early life prior to his exile
                and wove a convincing narrative about his childhood, his life as a Tendai monk,
                his meeting Honen and accepting his nembutsu-only faith, his (first?) marriage,
                and the exile to Echigo. It was a page turner I couldn't put down.

                It took me a few days to locate its sequel, THE MONK'S WIFE, but it too was a
                great read. It was the story of Shinran's middle years from exile to his move
                to Kanto told from the story of Eshinni, his (second?) wife. Tabrah may have
                played the facts a bit by introducing sexual intrigue as a reason for several of
                the shifts in Shinran's domestic circumstances, but it held together
                convincingly.

                As Ruth Tabrah is one of the authors of SHIN SUTRAS TO LIVE BY it is uncanny to
                read her poetic recastings of Shoshinge, Juseige and Sanbutsuge and imagine
                hearing them from the mouth of the Shinran of her two books.

                Again, highly recommended.

                With palms together,
                Peter (Shaku Kyobo)

                http://kyobo.blogspot.com/
              • Shaku Kyobo
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 16 8:44 PM
                  > Are these two books redially available ?

                  They are. Both can be ordered from the Buddhist Bookstore in San Francisco
                  (415) 776-7877.

                  With palms together,
                  Peter (Shaku Kyobo)

                  http://kyobo.blogspot.com/
                • Rob Findlay
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 16 8:50 PM

                    Shaku Kyobo said:

                    > I used to read fiction a lot when I was younger, but in my later years
                    > it's been non-fiction -- religion and current events mostly.
                    > However, I decided to read Ruth Tabrah's historical fiction THE MONK
                    > WHO DARED and I really enjoyed it.  Tabrah took the few facts we
                    > have about Shinran's early life prior to his exile and wove a
                    > convincing narrative about his childhood, his life as a Tendai monk,
                    > his meeting Honen and accepting his nembutsu-only faith, his (first?)
                    > marriage, and the exile to Echigo.  It was a page turner I
                    > couldn't put down.
                    >
                    > It took me a few days to locate its sequel, THE MONK'S WIFE, but it too
                    > was a great read.  It was the story of Shinran's middle years from
                    > exile to his move to Kanto told from the story of Eshinni, his
                    > (second?) wife.  Tabrah may have played the facts a bit by
                    > introducing sexual intrigue as a reason for several of the shifts in
                    > Shinran's domestic circumstances, but it held together
                    > convincingly.
                    >
                    > As Ruth Tabrah is one of the authors of SHIN SUTRAS TO LIVE BY it is
                    > uncanny to read her poetic recastings of Shoshinge, Juseige and
                    > Sanbutsuge and imagine hearing them from the mouth of the Shinran of
                    > her two books.
                    >
                    > Again, highly recommended.
                    >
                    > With palms together,
                    > Peter (Shaku Kyobo)
                    >
                    > http://kyobo.blogspot.com/

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    > To visit your group on the web, go
                    > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shinlist/  To unsubscribe from

                    With Palms - Togther, Rob Findlay
                    Homepage | http://robfindlay.org
                    Blog | http://robfindlay.org/mt/
                    --
                    "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream
                    of the future, concentrate the mind on
                    the present moment."
                    - Shakyamuni Buddha
                  • Robert Garvey
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 17 7:55 PM
                      Last May I uploaded to this Yahoo group the translation of Tannisho
                      by Dr. Taitetsu Unno in Palm doc format. I used a program no longer
                      available on the internet that converted HTML pages to Palm
                      documents. That uploaded zip file contains seven separate doc files
                      corresponding to the links found here:
                      http://www.livingdharma.org/Tannisho/TannishoContents.html

                      I just uploaded that same text in another format, for the PalmReader
                      program. I produced that one by downloading the HTML then doing
                      a manual conversion from HTML to Palm Markup Language (PML).
                      Everything is in one file.

                      Should anyone use a copy of the PalmReader version and find errors,
                      please let me know. I'd be happy to make corrections and upload a
                      revision to this group.

                      in gassho,

                      Robert