Re: [shinlist] books, I

  • ShinBuddhist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2002
      In a message dated 11/25/02 7:51:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, bombu@... writes:

      Can you tell me
      your other favourites and maybe why you liked them? I'm getting
      ready to order some more books and would appreciate your
      recommendations.

      Namo Amitabha

             I'll keep this list to my absolute favorites. I will not discuss River of Fire, River of Water, since it seems that everyone has read that already. I am looking forward to taking up Taitetsu Uno's other book, Shin Buddhism.

             First of all, I would have to place the writings of Shinran at the top of my list. I am currently wading through (highlighter in hand!), The Collected Works of Shinran, Volume I. It contains excellent translations of Shinran's Writings. I am not sure if it contains all of his writings or all of those which have been translated into English. The second volume contains introductions, an extensive glossary and other helps.

             Next, I would have to recommend Honen Shonin's Senchaku Hongan Nembutsu Shu. I have two translations of this. One published by the Numata Center was translated into English by Morris J. Augustine and Kondo Tessho. The other one was published by University of Hawaii Press and was translated into English by the Senchakushu English Translation Project. Also, along these lines is a book published by Bukkyo University Los Angeles Extension in the Light of Wisdom Series called, An Anthology of the Teachings of Honen Shonin. This book contains teachings of Honen other than the Senchakushu, including famous items, such as the Ichimai Kishomon (Single-Sheet Covenant) and the Koshosoku (Note on a single Page).

             I would next recommend The Three Pure Land Sutras: A Study and Translation, by Hisao Inagaki. I took this book with me on my trip to Japan, to keep me busy while on the planes, trains and while waiting for my spouse to get ready. It is a scholarly book that was written really well, not dry and sterile, like many, but alive and vibrant. By the time we got back, I had finished it. A wonderful read!

             The next item is very special to my heart. If it weren't for it, I may not have taken an interest in Shin Buddhism. That is the Tannisho.  I recommend the following:
                   Tannisho: A Shin Buddhist Classic, translated by Taitetsu Unno.
                   Strategies for Modern Living: A Commentary with the Text of the Tannisho, by Alfred Bloom.
                   On Being Evil: An Introduction to the Tannisho, by Sachiya Hiro.
                   Shin Buddhism's Essence: The Tannisho - Prof. Ryukyo Fujimoto's Translation, with Extracts from His Writings as Commentary - A Religion Beyond Good and Evil, Tetsuo Unno, editor.
                   Perfect Freedom in Buddhism: An Exposition of the Words of Shinran, Founder of the Shin Sect, the Largest Buddhist School in Japan, written by The Tannisho Kenkyukai and translated into English by Shinji Takuwa.

             More to follow.

      Grasped,
      never to be abandoned,
      Ernesto.
    • Bombu
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2002
        On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:07:05 EST
        ShinBuddhist@... wrote:

        > First of all, I would have to place the writings of Shinran at
        > the top of my list.

        thanks very much for taking the time to write in detail Ernesto. I've
        read and/or own more than half on your list with some notable
        exceptions, ie. Honen I've read virtually nothing by or about him, but
        intend to correct this ommision.

        When I start salivating over books AGAIN I'm reminded I am a recovering
        pseudo-intellectual bibliomaniac and must walk a fine line there! :-)

        the following from Shinran is instructive [for me] " Simply
        achieve your birth firmly avoiding all scholarly debate. I recall
        hearing the late Master Honen say, 'Persons of the Pure Land tradition
        attain birth in the Pure Land by becoming their foolish selves.' "

        ahh... it's off to work with me now!

        thanks for being there,

        Bombu
      • ShinBuddhist@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2002
          In a message dated 11/27/2002 10:18:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, bombu@... writes:

          > I'm reminded I am a recovering
          > pseudo-intellectual bibliomaniac and must walk a fine line
          > there! :-)

          As a seminary graduate, I can heartily relate!

          Grasped,
          never to be forsaken,
          Ernesto.