Many Questions!!!!

  • wynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      I am a seeker of truth.

      I have many questions!!!

      Take your time to answer them. No need to hurry.

      Question 1

      Is it true that Mahayana Buddhism is influence by Christianity as alleged by this three websites?

      Question 2

      Is the statement below correct?

      >"I have always maintained that the Dharmakaya of Mahayana
      >Buddhism is one and the same God of Christianity,
      though the concept
      >was not yet fully developed. It did become more
      developed in Chen-yen
      >Buddhism and Shingon Buddhism under Kukai... In
      this case, the
      >Shingon Buddhists see the Dharmakaya as Personified in
      the form of
      >Dainichi Nyorai."

      Question 3

      Other sects of Buddhism have many heavens. What about Shin Buddhism? What is the difference between heaven and Pure Land and also Nirvana? What is the difference between Pure Land and Christian's heaven?

      Question 4

      Is this statement corect?

      > Rather, the vow of Amitabha is that if women, upon hearing of Amitabha, wish to  > renounce their womenhood so they can come to the Pure Land, but for whatever
      > metaphysical reason, are
      unable to do so, then he would refuse to accept           > enlightenment.

      Question 5

      The sects that actually have a heaven that
      is similiar to our ideas in the West are the Pure Land sects, and
      there is no doubt that the Chinese Sects did not believe that women
      or animals could go to heaven.

      Question 6

      How do you explain this?

      From The Aparimitayur Sutra

      35. When I obtain the Buddhahood, women of boundless and inconceivable
      Buddha-worlds of the ten quarters after having heard my name thereby
      awakened in faith and joyful aspiration, and turning their minds towards
      Bodhi, therefore dislike their own female lives, when they be born again, in
      their next life should not be incarnated into a masculine body, then may I
      not attain the enlightenment.

    • Clifton Ong
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        Hello Wynn,
        glad to answer your questions. I am not really learned so i will try my best to answer them as much as i can. I will also forward this to some of my Senseis in America n Japan and see whether they can answer them.

        1) Although outwardly Mahayana Buddhism may look in certain aspects like Christianity, yet they are poles apart. Mahayana like Theravadin Buddhism also recognises the 4 Noble Truths and Noble 8-fold Path to be the Central belief of Buddhism, and likewise, the denial of the existence of an All-knowing Creator God. While there are some points in which Mahayana Buddhism "converges" with christianity, yet their beliefs, practices and theology are not the same.
        The site makes an error on the term "Zhen Yan" or "Shingon". The term actually refers to Mantras used during esoteoric practices such as the Fire Pujas, Initiations etc. And on "baptism", i should point out that it was the christians who actually took this form of rite from the Indian practice. In Hinduism, it was customary for the Hindus to bathe in the Ganges River. In Shingon Buddhism, the act of "pouring water over the head" is a symbolic sign of one entering the Mandala or being One with the Honzon - or "Spiritual Diety". The actual practice was for ancient Indian kings on their coronations, where water acquired from the "Four Seas" would be sprinkled over their head, symbolising them to be great rulers.

        2) The Dharmakaya Body of the Buddhas (Buddhas have 3 Bodies or Manifestations - Dharmakaya, Sambhokaya and Nirmanakaya). The Dharmakaya is taken to be the Manifestation of Absolute Truth, while the Sambhokaya is taken as the Manifestation of Spiritual Pleasure, and the Nirmanakaya is the Bodily or Mortal Manifestation. Dainichi Nyorai )aka Vairocana Buddha) is looked upon as the Manifestation of the Absolute Truth, and in Shingon they believe that all the other Buddhas originate from this Buddha Vairocana.

        3) In Shinshu as in other Buddhist sects birth in heaven is not the ultimate, because heavenly beings are still subject to Birth and Death. The difference between the Pure Land and Heaven is that the Pure Land is not some place for us to enjoy "eternal life and happiness", but rather a place for us to cultivate the Buddha-Dharma, and associate with the other Great Beings (Ku-e Issho), and then come back to this Saha World to teach other Sentient Beings (Genso-eko, or the Merit [of Amida] to return to this world). Nirvana is a state of Bliss, and unfortunately, since i am not Buddha, i can't answer this, because only Buddha knows since He is the one who has attained Nirvana.

        4) It is guranteed that women can also attain Birth in the Pure Land. Actually to me (personally), it makes no diff whether you're a man or woman in this life, because when one attains Shinjin (Faith), one will definetly be born in Amida Buddha's Pure Land. And, since there is no distinction in the Pure Land, one attains the same body, there is no distinction btw rich or poor, young or old, male or female. In the Pure Land, since it is an Inconceivable Place, all this distinctions btw sexes cease.

        5) I am not really sure of the Chinese sects now, but there have been cases in the past and now that women were reborn in the Pure Land, there were even cases of animals too, but since i am not so sure of this, i will not elaborate here. Sorry.

        6) In the Sutras, it is said that women are unable to become Buddhas, and this happens because of the 32 Great Marks and 80 Minor Signs of a Samyak-sam Buddha (A Fully Enlightened Being like Shakamuni Buddha), and one of the 32 Marks is "a penis hidden behind a sheath". Also, women have greater barriers to gaining enlightenment. BUT, women are as capable of teaching Buddhism as men, in Taiwan, Hongkong and Singapore, there are more nuns than monks, in Shinshu, there are also a sizeable number of women priests who are also able to teach, in fact, the "Resident Priest" of the Shinshu Dojo in Hong Kong is a Taiwanese Nun (a convert from Chinese Zen to Shinshu, but she still retains her Bhikkuni (Fully-ordained Nun) image, it's easier for them to spread Shinshu there (HK) that way). Like i said in answer (4), women are also able to be reborn in the Pure Land.

        Hope this answers your queries, if you have some more, dun hesitate to add in.
        In gassho,
        Clifton (Shaku Do Tatsu)
        Singapore

        BTW, i see that you're Malaysian, wishing you "Selamat Tahun Baru". Care to share which State you're from?
        Take your time to answer them. No need to hurry.

        Question 1

        Is it true that Mahayana Buddhism is influence by Christianity as alleged by this three websites?

        Question 2

        Is the statement below correct?

        >"I have always maintained that the Dharmakaya of Mahayana
        >Buddhism is one and the same God of Christianity, though the concept
        >was not yet fully developed. It did become more developed in Chen-yen
        >Buddhism and Shingon Buddhism under Kukai... In this case, the
        >Shingon Buddhists see the Dharmakaya as Personified in the form of
        >Dainichi Nyorai."

        Question 3

        Other sects of Buddhism have many heavens. What about Shin Buddhism? What is the difference between heaven and Pure Land and also Nirvana? What is the difference between Pure Land and Christian's heaven?

        Question 4

        Is this statement corect?

        > Rather, the vow of Amitabha is that if women, upon hearing of Amitabha, wish to  > renounce their womenhood so they can come to the Pure Land, but for whatever
        > metaphysical reason, are unable to do so, then he would refuse to accept           > enlightenment.

        Question 5

        The sects that actually have a heaven that
        is similiar to our ideas in the West are the Pure Land sects, and
        there is no doubt that the Chinese Sects did not believe that women
        or animals could go to heaven.

        Question 6

        How do you explain this?

        From The Aparimitayur Sutra

        35. When I obtain the Buddhahood, women of boundless and inconceivable
        Buddha-worlds of the ten quarters after having heard my name thereby
        awakened in faith and joyful aspiration, and turning their minds towards
        Bodhi, therefore dislike their own female lives, when they be born again, in
        their next life should not be incarnated into a masculine body, then may I
        not attain the enlightenment.

      • Lotus Hermit
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2001
          One example of woman successfully achieved enlightenment in Pureland
          school.

          In 1997 summer, an old lady passed away in TianJin city. As her
          wished, her body was placed in a small room for over a long period of
          time. Her body during that wet and hot weather, did not decompoase
          at all. And there was always a scent of flower in the room where her
          body rests. Scientists from the China Academy of Science visited and
          took samples of her tissues, could not conclude why her body did not
          decompase.

          Pureland is the most popular among female buddhists in China, since
          practice Pureland did not require any deep readings (most villige
          CHinese are not educated enough to read those ancient text).
          Pureland in general is the biggest and most popular school of
          practice by layman and laywoman of buddhism in China too.

          I agree totally with Ong on his/her account. Pureland is still
          Greater Vehicle buddhism even though it is the most religious-like.
          One biggest difference between Pureland and Christianity is that,
          even in pureland after the lotus birth, humans are still responsible
          for studying and achieving Nirvana. After achieving Nirvana in
          Pureland, the human (except one case) will be returning to the other
          relms similar to earth or earth itself to help others to achieve
          enlightenment. Many have to make several entrances to these relms in
          order to complete their buddhahood and wash away their previous
          negative action/karma.

          Whereas Christianity relies soly on the protection of Jesus and God.
          YOu just need to believe in so and your sins will be relieved and
          your soul will go to heaven. Your belief is the only thing counts.
          Your actions do not matter much as long as they are under the name of
          spreading the gospel. There are holy wars in christianity but such
          notion of "Holy War" does not exist at all in either Buddhism or
          Taoism.

          As far as which religion influences which, it really doesn't matter.
          It is whichever one can help you the most that really counts. But
          for the sake of arguement, more scholars believe that it is buddhism
          influenced christianity, not the other way around.

          Hopefully these help.

        • Robert Garvey
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2003
            I recently joined this Yahoo group and have been reading through
            past messages. In response to this particular question, I would
            refer you to the Living Dharma website for a transcript of a talk
            on the 35th Vow of Dharmakara from the Larger Sutra.

            http://www.livingdharma.org/Living.Dharma.Articles/WomenInBuddhism4.html