Bingo !

  • -A
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 7 2:06 PM
      Dear Shaku Egen,

      >That being so, the whole idea of self-power becomes absurd, since
      > the saving power of Amida Buddha is already at work in us.
      > To think otherwise is to block us off from that "vow power"
      > and relegate us back to the cycle of birth-and-death.

      yes! yes! YES !!!

      .
    • Richard St. Clair
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 6, 2003
        <<...Shin Buddhism. Initially it reminded me too much
        of my fundamentalist Christian background (I went to Bible school
        myself as someone else on this board). However, the truth of
        suchness is very, very powerful. There is great faith involved in
        the truth of suchness and allowing for what is to be just that...what
        is.

        Thank you again.

        Gassho,
        Shawn>>

        Shawn,
        I also reacted to the Christian flavor of some of the English terms
        used in Shin Buddhism, such as "faith," "salvation," but remember
        that the original Japanese terms really don't have an exact English
        equivalent. "Faith" in Shin is represented by the Japanese term
        "shinjin", which means "endowed trust", i.e. trust in Amida Buddha, a
        trust which is 'endowed' by Amida and not through our personal "self
        power." "Salvation" does not, of course, refer to a Christian style
        heaven/hell duality. It really means enlightenment, realization of
        "suchness" by letting our self-power calculation fall away from us
        and letting the Other Power of Amida bring us to that awakened state
        in the Pure Land, or nirvana. Thankfully English-speaking Shin
        Buddhists use the term "Pure Land", an exact rendering of the term
        "jodo", rather than "heaven"!!! Glad to see you posting here. :)
        be well,
        in gassho,
        Richard St. Clair