Transcendency of life - tribute to the victims of the SQ006 crash

  • Clifton Ong
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2000
      Namu Amida Butsu!
      Hello everyone,
      this has been a very terrible week for the people of
      Singapore due to the plane crash of Singapore Airlines
      SQ006 that crashed at Taipei International Airport
      last Tuesday (31/10). All in all 82 people lost their
      lives, including Americans, Taiwanese, Singaporeans
      who made up most of the passengers on the plane. It is
      indeed a tragic affair, and it has brought me to
      remember the "Chapter on White Ashes" written by
      Rennyo shonin in the Gobunsho. Incidentally, a writing
      on the Horai Association calendar for November
      states:-
      You shall die; surely you shall die, your life is
      momentary, like lightning or morning dew. Be aware of
      the evanescence of life that may end this evening -
      Think about it!
      - Shaku Zuiken

      While i was at Honganji International Ctr in late
      July, a minister from Taiwan told me, in Jodo Shinshu
      we should keep 3 things in mind, unfortunately, i have
      forgotten two of them, but one was "Impermanence",
      yes! our life is impermanent, like it states in the
      Gobunsho - "We are therefore, beings that may have
      faces radiant with life in the morning, and in the
      evening be white ashes." How true and penetraiting
      this passage from the White Ashes is! Therefore, like
      what Rennyo shonin states at the end of the letter -
      we should recite the Nembutsu with deep and total
      reliance upon Amida Buddha. How wonderful, my Oya-sama
      will take care of me, even upon my death and rebirth
      to the Pure Land!

      In gassho,
      Clifton Ong (Shaku Do Tatsu)
      Singapore

      - a tribute to the victims of the SQ006 air crash

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
    • Erick Neiss
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2000
        Namu Amida Butsu! Thanks for your wonderful tribute, Clifton. It was
        very appropriate and well-put. i was not aware that the crash had
        killed quite that many people. Your selection from the Horai calendar
        was very inspiring. In fact, i was very moved by the quote when i
        turned from October to November on the calendar before. It's words
        ring true, almost achingly true, and the event of this crash make
        it's
        power even more immediate. Also appreciated is your Rennyo Shonin
        quote. You are right that contemplating the true impermanence of life
        should ultimately inspire us to deepen our practice and faith in the
        Buddha's Teachings. On behalf of all on this list, and all who passed
        away in the SQ006 air crash, i wish to thank you wholeheartedly for
        your kindness.

        Namu Amida Butsu,
        Erick Xiang-Zou