Re: New to the group

  • --Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2007
      Welcome, Rob.

      I just re-joined the group after an absence of a couple of years. Had
      a lot of life changes; more or less back on track now.

      Recently my interest in Shin was rekindled. Being away from it - and
      Buddhism - for a while was helpful.

      Actually, I find Buddhism quite overwhelming. The basics are
      straightforward enough but it doesn't take long before one drowns in
      doctrines, terms, sutras, and so on. Not to mention the varieties of
      sects and their sub-sects. Whew...

      --Michael

      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <capt_bochan@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rob and I am an American
      > living in the beautiful countryside of Kanaya Japan. I've been here
      > for about three years now and live together with my wife Eriko and two
      > sons Kaito and Kenjiro in an old farmhouse set among the emerald green
      > tea fields. I look forward to great conversations with all of you.
      > Be well!
      >
      > Rob Hirai
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2007
        --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "--Michael" <epsilon717@...> wrote:

        > Welcome, Rob.
        >
        > I just re-joined the group after an absence of a couple of years.
        Had
        > a lot of life changes; more or less back on track now.
        >
        > Recently my interest in Shin was rekindled. Being away from it - and
        > Buddhism - for a while was helpful.
        >
        > Actually, I find Buddhism quite overwhelming. The basics are
        > straightforward enough but it doesn't take long before one drowns in
        > doctrines, terms, sutras, and so on. Not to mention the varieties of
        > sects and their sub-sects. Whew...
        >

        > --Michael

        Michael thanks for the welcome. I know how you feel – it's difficult
        to shift through all the differences. At our local temple the monk
        both smokes and drinks! Laughing at my questioning he recites his
        favorite saying, "It is what it is." He says if you accept the four
        truths and live your life as close as possible to the eight fold path
        then you are a Buddhist. I believe worrying and fighting over the
        semantics of religious dogma has brought enough trouble into this
        world without me adding to it so I accept this and try moment by
        moment to be a better human being. I think the world would be better
        off if people realized that beyond all the words and stories the
        basic message of all religions are the same. I would say it's how you
        apply that message to yourself that counts- not your ability to sit
        still for hours a day or keep track of recitations with nenju.

        Thanks again for the reply I wish for you every happiness.

        Rob