NetPaul's defense of Shin Fundi-Mentalism

  • jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi Jim -

      I'm not going to let this on-line Sangha devlove into yet
      one more online Buddhist debating society.

      My personal mission is to help sincere people come to
      settled SHINJIN and be sealed for Buddhahood at the end of
      this life. To do that, I invest significant time and effort
      into disseminating Shinran's teaching.

      Unlike you, I do it under the watchful eye of one of the
      world's leading Shin Buddhist scholars. So what I preach
      and teach isn't some half-baked concoction of my own ideas -
      but reflects Shinran's understanding - of which Eiken Kobai
      Sensei is a leading expositor.

      If you want to help people understand the dharma by
      propagating YOUR ideas, start a website or Yahoo Group where
      YOU are the owner.

      I wish you well in your journey.

      Gassho,

      Paul

      From Jim:

      Pending the destruction of all human life the total end of the Dharma
      is just not possible. You are confusing metaphors with reality.
      Really think about it. Since most copies of the Larger sutra are
      bound together with the other two...how can just the Larger one
      survive 100 years without the other two? The answer lies in the fact
      that the author of the larger sutra had no way of knowing that sutras
      in the future would be bound together. The author was merely giving
      hope to the readers that his message was important enough to survive
      til the end. Other sutras deal with this especially the doctrine of
      kosen-rufu in the Lotus Sutra (where the extinction of the dharma is
      prevented by people spreading the Lotus sutra throout the world
      (which was done in the late 1800's).