An offerings suggestion/ insomnia at work again.

  • Aaron (Joushin) Boone
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2006
      Hello Everyone,

      Just a thought I had last night. I wanted to lay out my Obutsudan but I am missing bits & pieces of the "classic" setup. I then remembered that some folk use silk flowers in the place of real ones for compassion for the live flowers. It made me think of the idea of symbolics vs actualities. I then remembered seeing Tibetan offering bowls with  several colored stones, aesthetically very pleasing. And being a former Neo-Pagan I liked the idea of symbolic objects. So... I had the idea of six offering bowls with an object in each to represent something in life to be thankful for in a broad sense.

       What I had in mind is the following.

      1. Object: green stone, or carving of a fruit or other plant. A green apple perhaps?
          Symbolizing: The bounty of green things that sustain us.

      2. Object: blue stone, or something aquatic. Say, a fish?
          Symbolizing: The element of life, water.

      3. Object: clear stone, quartz, or white, cloud like?
         Symbolizing: Air, breath of life.

      4. Object: red / gold stone, something that catches the light.
          Symbolizing: Fire, life giving warmth.

      5. Object: a geometric shape, pyramid or faceted crystal.
          Symbolizing: Mind/Spirit, the intellect, the mind that can embrace the Dharma.

      6. Object: Carving of an animal. (could be combined with Fish  carving)
          Symbolizing: All the animal life that gave their lives so that humans might live.

      I know this is not orthodox by any means but I wanted to share a possible idea for offerings. I do not have the opportunity and or practical ability to do food/water offerings. Too many possibilities for a mess in a house with 2 cats.

      Gassho,
      Aaron (Shaku Joushin)

      The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

      Shinran Shonin