Shigaraki: A Life of Awakening reviewed in BuddhaDharma Winter 05

  • epsilon717
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
      The review was favorable. The reviewer noted Shigarki's concern with
      the translation of shinjin as "faith." Sound familiar?

      BTW, was the book discussed on this or another Shin list? I'm on most
      of them, and they all blur together.

      Regardless, where can it be obtained? Honpa Hongwanji bookstore, perhaps?

      The best part of all the Buddhist magazines is the book review section.

      --Michael
    • Robert Garvey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006

        --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "epsilon717" <epsilon717@y...> wrote:

        > The review was favorable. The reviewer noted Shigarki's concern with
        > the translation of shinjin as "faith." Sound familiar?
        >
        > BTW, was the book discussed on this or another Shin list? I'm on most
        > of them, and they all blur together.
        >
        > Regardless, where can it be obtained? Honpa Hongwanji bookstore, perhaps?
        >

        > The best part of all the Buddhist magazines is the book review section.
        >

        > --Michael

        Professor Takamaro Shigaraki's most recent book should be available from the BCA bookstore:

        Buddhist Bookstore
        1710 Octavia Street
        San Francisco, CA  94109
        phone: 415-776-7877
        fax: 415-771-6293

        In A Life of Awakening, Professor Shigaraki distinguishes faith in Shin Buddhism as different from faith in the everyday secular sense and from faith in the usual religious sense.

        Some of the ideas expressed in A Life of Awakening can also be found in an article written by him and published in the Pacific World: Journal of the Institute of Buddhist Studies in Fall of 2001.  "The Problem of the True and the False in Contemporary Shin Buddhist Studies: True Shin Buddhism and False Shin Buddhism" is available for download as a PDF file here:

        http://www.shin-ibs.edu/pwj7.htm

        The article can also be viewed as HTML generated by Google and available here:

        http://tinyurl.com/dxgnf

        The only use of the word "faith" in that article is in this paragraph.

        ''Originally, when shinjin was spoken of in simple terms, it was unavoidably described in relation to an object, such as “having faith in Amida Buddha” or “entrusting in the Primal Vow.” As a result, Shinran’s Japanese-language works almost always express shinjin as being addressed toward some object. However, the Chapter on Shinjin elucidates shinjin of Shin Buddhism in terms of Mahayana logic. There, it should be noted, shinjin is clearly discussed in a manner that is non-dualistic, or, subjective in nature.''

        I think there are some words that have been used so much in Western, Judeo-Christian traditions that their use in other contexts requires a long explanation of the nuances of meaning not implied in the usual sense of the word.  At the top of that list is "faith".

        Robert
        .