Re: [shinlist] Homyo date is set!

  • John
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006
      Are each of these names considered unique, or may more than one person be given the same name?
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006
        Greetings,

        Why not take a Western name? Some American Zen groups
        use the names of Western Renniansance Painters (great
        if you want to sound like a new member of the Teenage
        Ninja Mutant Turtles!). For my name I took a greek god
        name.

        jim

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006

          In a message dated 1/1/06 7:32:59 AM, ejohnt@... writes:

          Dear Aaron,

          First, isn't "Shakuni" for women?

          Peter,
          I think "ni" is for women when used as a Suffix, not a prefix,
          as in Eshin-ni and Kakushin-ni. I've never seen it used as a prefix.
          "Bo" is, I think, reserved for males - as in Yuiem-bo. At least
          that's how I've interpreted it.
        • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006
            Hi Peter and all,

            I may be wrong but "ni" is an added part to the name, maybe like "of". I know of a person with Shaku ni (name) but Shaku (name) would work to. I thought I saw it written Shaku ni Shinran also. I could be wrong as I said but I'm guessing someone will tell me.

            Also the two kanji "ON" & "YU" are not to be used together. I get to choose ONE of the two to be used. I am more set for the "ON" one as I like the meanings. "Quiet,Calm, Peaceful". So it will be (***on) or (On***).

            I am trying to embody that goal of becoming peaceful and calm and quiet so I can hear more clearly. (Ha ha) It hasn't worked yet but I can hope. I actually think I got the kanji "ON" from the word "seion" which meant "serenity" but it was a while ago and I need to look it up again.

            And Kyobo sempai! You make me blush! I actually have even more entertaining monikers online. Yes some Homyo can have unfortunate English possibilities. I will have to make sure Sensei knows that incase he comes up with something odd to western ears.

            Gassho,
            Aaron

            Peter Kyobo Skye <kyobo@...> wrote:
            Dear Aaron,

            First, isn't "Shakuni" for women?

            Second, do you want a homyo that in English sounds so -- shall we say -- inviting as Onyu?

            :-)

            Best
            Peter

            The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

            Shinran Shonin

            Yahoo! Shopping

          • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2006
              Hi Jim,

              Well being a big time Japanophile a Japanese name would be awesome. I have a Scotts Gealic Neo-Pagan name from years back "Osran" which I still use from time to time.

              This will sound terrible I'm sure but I'd like a name that sounds like that of an artist or poet. I like the songs of Sengai, Enju, Shion, Ikkyu, things like these, except I'm not sure if those are gender specific. My normal Japanese name is "Hikaru" and that is either sex. My Homyo will not just be my "Homyo" but also my artist name when I start up again.

              Gassho,
              Aaron/Shoren/Osran/Hikaru......?

              Jim <from_alamut@...> wrote:
              Greetings,

              Why not take a Western name? Some American Zen groups
              use the names of Western Renniansance Painters (great
              if you want to sound like a new member of the Teenage
              Ninja Mutant Turtles!). For my name I took a greek god
              name.

              jim

              --- Peter Kyobo Skye <kyobo@...> wrote:

              > Dear Aaron,
              >
              > First, isn't "Shakuni" for women?
              >
              > Second, do you want a homyo that in English sounds
              > so -- shall we say -- inviting as Onyu?
              >
              > :-)
              >
              > Best
              > Peter

              The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

              Shinran Shonin

              Yahoo! Shopping

            • Peter Kyobo Skye

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Aaron,
                  Do I detect your being in your calculating mind about this?

                  Consider if you were in the presence of the historical Buddha and he looked into your
                  heart what would he see, what would he know about you? How would he view your
                  aspirations?

                  If you want to find out, stop asking others, and stop even asking your mind, and ask your
                  heart - the heart the Buddha sees in you. And the answer probably won't come right away,
                  so let it surface in its own time and manner. What comes will be "right" and it will come
                  from your own path.

                  Gassho,
                  la (John L.)

                  --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron \(Shoren\) Boone" <shoren108@y...> wrote:

                  > Hi everyone in my online Sanghas!
                  >
                  > Well it's official, May 21st 2006 we are having Kieshiki (Sarana) Affirmation From
                  Socho Koshin Ogui at Watsonville Buddhist Temple.
                  > I am excited to have an official date and will do what I can to be one of those getting a
                  Homyo.They said I can choose the meaning of my Homyo and also choose one of the
                  characters to use. I have until April 20th 2006 to submit a request.

                  > The dilemma is I have no idea what to choose. Or rather I am not sure how to go about
                  it. I will not be using "Shoren" for a number of reasons, one, it was simply something I
                  came up with on a whim and later saw it was an actual name, and secondly it's The
                  Reverends baby boys name.

                  > I am at a loss. I do not know if I should attempt a meaning or just let Sensei come up
                  with one. It's hard to put into words what I aspire to when I'm not sure of that myself. I
                  really do not want to be pompous either, so not "shining glory, or other silliness. I have an
                  odd problem in which anything I personally come up with I am never happy with. In my art
                  I feel like that. This is not that different.

                  > I thought about things that I could use to describe who I want to be or what I hope for
                  myself but even that proves difficult. I came up with [ON] "calm, quiet" as a possibility of
                  an aspiration or characteristic I'd like to embody or [YU] "friend" something I try to be.

                  > If anyone has any suggestions I'd be delighted to hear from you. My greedy vain self
                  hopes for a beautiful Homyo but something meaningful would suit me just fine to. (So I
                  tell myself) So if you have something I have not thought of or you thing "ON" or "YU" have
                  potential please let me know. (I'll put the 2 kanji in the pictures sections of the lists)

                  > Thank you everyone.
                  > Gassho,
                  > Aaron (Shaku ni _______)
                  >

                  > The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become
                  freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the
                  abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such
                  an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who
                  attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more
                  so the evil person!

                  > Shinran Shonin

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Yahoo! Photos
                  > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

                • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
                    GAH! I am doomed! Hahahaha!

                    I'm not sure I can turn off that part of my mind. I'm te3mpted to let him choose for me but the very announcement says "Please don't miss this splended opportunity if you do not have your favorite Buddhist name yet!"

                    What's a yutz like me to do? Would you be happy with the Buddhist version of Millhouse? Hahahaha

                    I guess I'll just have to see. I like the idea of "Calm, Quiet, tranquil, etc. but who knows. I have enough trouble keeping myself grounded.

                    Thanks for the that nugget of insight to chew on John. I am not sure how to see myself at all. It changes too often.

                    Gassho,
                    Aaron

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                      Dear Aaron,

                      I don't know about your deliberations on a homyo being a product of a
                      "calculating mind." I may be wrong but I believe Shinran meant the term hakarai
                      to apply to what you try to do to bootstrap your way to salvation. If so,
                      worrying about a homyo doesn't seem to qualify.

                      However, calculating mind or not you do seem to be obsessing.

                      I have the name Kyobo given to me when I took refuge with Jodo Shinshu. I have
                      the name Konchok Dargye given to me when I took refuge with Drikung Kagyu (a
                      Tibetan sect). Who knows, I may be given more before I die. The point is that
                      they were gifts by those who were initiating me.

                      Perhaps you should let the Socho choose for you?

                      Best
                      Peter
                    • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                        I like that idea Peter and yes it does seem a bit obsessive. I'm not really freaking out about it but they have said I can choose "one" kanji and the meaning myself.
                        And my Rev. Hanayama will be choosing my Homyo not the Socho. It was suggested that my wondering about what to choose is my calculating mind at work.

                        I admit I'd like something pretty and I can use. But then it's sort of shown as a thing to aquire. They did say "Get the most favorite name yet" on the announcement.

                        I am probably going with "Calm,Quiet" being it's something I need to work on in myself.

                        I am just who I am I guess, it took forever to choose my Neo-Pagan name but once I found it I embraced it. I chose my own legal name in 2000 and it finally feels right. I guess this is no different.

                        Gassho,
                        Aaron

                        Peter Kyobo Skye <kyobo@...> wrote:
                        Dear Aaron,

                        I don't know about your deliberations on a homyo being a product of  a
                        "calculating mind."  I may be wrong but I believe Shinran meant the term hakarai
                        to apply to what you try to do to bootstrap your way to salvation.  If so,
                        worrying about a homyo doesn't seem to qualify.

                        However, calculating mind or not you do seem to be obsessing.

                        I have the name Kyobo given to me when I took refuge with Jodo Shinshu.  I have
                        the name Konchok Dargye given to me when I took refuge with Drikung Kagyu (a
                        Tibetan sect).  Who knows, I may be given more before I die.  The point is that
                        they were gifts by those who were initiating me.

                        Perhaps you should let the Socho choose for you?

                        Best
                        Peter

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

                        Shinran Shonin

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Peter Kyobo Skye
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                          Dear Aaron,

                          I forgot to mention... Both "Kyobo" from Jodo Shinshu and "Konchok Dargye" from
                          Drikung Kagyu mean essentially the same: Respect for the Dharma.

                          I continue to find it odd -- and meaningful -- that a Shin priest and a Tibetan
                          lama several years and several hundred miles apart would come up with the same
                          name for me.

                          Best
                          Peter
                        • shinjininla
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                            Dear Aaron,

                            --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, you wrote:
                            < . . . >
                            >I am not sure how to see myself at all. It changes too often.
                            >
                            > Gassho,
                            > Aaron

                            Well...judging by the above, it seems to me that you "see" yourself
                            clearly enough. Maybe a word that implies grounding, rest,
                            commitment, or some other word that calls to mind the opposite of a
                            self that "changes too often," may be appropriate and helpful.

                            Personally, my spiritual experiences are similar, though possibly
                            more severe, as I have found myself totally unable to commit to any
                            spiritual path for any amount of time. For this reason, I find in
                            Ippen's interpretation of the river of fire/river of water parable, a
                            ray of hope for a mind as inconsistent as mine.

                            Gassho
                          • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                              Thanks and I'm happy you are still here!
                              Yes the "Quiet,Calm" seems to make so much sense.
                              But we will see what comes of it.

                              Thanks again.

                              Gassho,
                              Aaron