Gratitude and Thanksgiving

  • dragonwriter4
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
      Hi All :)
      Came across the following today which brougth inspiration and joy to
      the heart. Namo Amida Butsu
      A talk given at an interfaith service kudos to the author?

      "As I understand it, my charge here this afternoon is to read or recite
      some passage from the literature of my school of Buddhism, which is
      Jodo Shin Shu---the True School of the Pure Land---, which is the
      tradition of the Cleveland Buddhist Temple.

      So here goes:

      NAMO AMIDA BUTSU. NAMO AMIDA BUTSU. NAMO AMIDA BUTSU.

      Of course, since I recited that in my approximation of the Japanese
      pronunciation of a Sanskrit phrase, I suppose that I owe you some sort
      of explanation.

      So here it is.

      There are many different schools of Buddhism, perhaps as many schools
      as there are Buddhists, for there is nothing that one is
      required to believe to be a Buddhist and each of us can only
      follow our own path.

      But one thing that almost all Buddhists have in common is that they
      have many reasons for giving thanks. Giving thanks is a basic part of
      Buddhist practices: thanks to our parents, thanks to our friends,
      thanks to the lunch we ate today, thanks to things just as they are,
      and especially thanks to the Buddha for the Buddha's teachings.

      Now the central teachings of the Buddha are that all things are
      impermanent, that all things are interdependent, and that no thing, no
      person, has an independent essence---that no person has an independent
      self. The Buddha teaches us that as a result of these truths that
      anyone---and that means every one of us---who clings to impermanent
      things, and especially to the idea that one has an independent self,
      is going to be disappointed and unhappy.

      And finally the Buddha teaches that, if you don't want to be unhappy,
      then you are going to have to truly get rid of the ignorant belief
      that you have a separate self that exists somehow apart from that
      of others. And, of course, since that means that you must recognize
      the fact that you are inextricably interconnected with others, it
      requires that you not only want to attain your own happiness but that
      you want all beings to be happy.

      And so the goal of all Buddhist practices is to attain wisdom and
      compassion. The wisdom to free oneself from the fetters of one's
      ignorance and greed and the compassion to wish that same freedom for
      all others.

      But Shin Buddhists like myself, ordinary ignorant people filled with
      blind passions, have to recognize that we simply lack the capacity to
      free ourselves from the bonds of our ignorance and greed.

      Now the usual translation of NAMO AMIDA BUTSU is: ``I am one with
      Amida Buddha---I am one with the Buddha of Infinite Light and
      Life---I am one with the infinite wisdom and compassion that surrounds
      me.''

      But for an ignorant person like myself it is more likely at first to
      be a cry of existential despair.

      We are, however, taught in the Shin tradition that if we listen
      carefully to NAMO AMIDA BUTSU we will hear Amida Buddha
      calling us to entrust ourselves to the wisdom and compassion that
      surrounds us. And when we truly hear that call, then NAMO AMIDA
      BUTSU becomes: ``Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.'' Every day
      becomes a day of thanksgiving. Every moment becomes an eternity of
      thanksgiving.

      NAMO AMIDA BUTSU. NAMO AMIDA BUTSU. NAMO AMIDA BUTSU."

      With Lovingkindness,
      Simon
    • --Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2005
        That would be from Peter Junger's latest blog at
        http://samsara-blog.blogspot.com/

        Scroll down to "Giving Thanks."

        --Michael

        --- dragonwriter4 <dragonwriter4@...> wrote:

        > Hi All :)
        > Came across the following today which brougth inspiration and
        > joy to the heart. Namo Amida Butsu
        > A talk given at an interfaith service kudos to the author?
        >

        > "As I understand it, my charge here this afternoon is to read
        > or recite some passage from the literature of my school of
        Buddhism,which is Jodo Shin Shu---the True School of the Pure
        Land---, which is the tradition of the Cleveland Buddhist Temple.

        [snip]

        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • dragonwriter4
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2005
          Hi Michael :)
          Thanks for proviginh the link to the article and the author Peter Junger!
          Interesting site, one to bookmark.
          With Lovingkindness
          Simon