Re: [shinlist] Digest Number 791

  • Galen Gorelangton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16 1:41 AM
      Message: 2
         Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 05:56:34 -0800 (PST)
         From: Clifton Ong <sanath_sg@...>
      Subject: Re: A happy quandry
       Yep, in my Dogo, the Butsudan has cranes at either side of it. On the topic of eclecticism though, I don't realy see what the harm is... Gotama, the historical buddha, bid the samgha not to become sectarian, seperating like water and oil; but rather he bit the samgha to unify, to unite like water and milk. In the end, Nichiren Buddhism and Shin Buddhism have alot of similarities; both are forms of Mahayana Buddhism that were introduced at the end of the nara period, with the focus being on introducing buddhism on "the masses" through the singular practice of mantra-yoga.
       I guess in the end I just realy hate sectarianism, and always worry when a person beings to associate themselves more with one group of humans than another; what I realy wish is for all people to come together, to realize a shared human-experience beyond cultural and religious differences. I also think the best way of expressing this cry for the unity of humanity in Love and Wisdom is:
       Namu-Amidabutsu! (Or maybe Namu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo!)

      PS: I read somwhere that the Pureland Sutras were infact a form of the Lotus Sutra's chapter on Skillful Means chapter of the Lotus Sutra, and now I remember somthing written by Susumu Yamaguchi:
      "Thus according to the 'Skillful Means chapter, nucleus of the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha's teaching of numerous gates of the Dharma should be understood as the 'One Buddha-path' manifesting through the Original Vow to appear at the level of sentient beings within the realm of discriminative comprehension. In other words, the two or three paths and numerous Dharma gates, as well as all other teachings during the Buddha's life, lead to the ultamite goal of having sentient beings attain the wisdom which is 'wonderoudly profound and sumpremely difficult to comprehend'. This precisely is the function of the Original Vow in the form of skillful means leading to the 'One Buddha-Path.' ("Mahayana Way to Buddhahood")