Looking for Nembutsu Text

  • g_reventlov
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2005
      Hi,

      I was doing a google search looking for the text of the Nembutsu. I
      came by this yahoo group, but couldn't find the files I am looking for
      after digging deeper. I'm hoping to find a picture or electronic
      version of the Nembutsu prayer in Kanji with hirigana on the side or
      top of each Kanji character (often called furigana). This is the
      typical style of the Nembutsu you see in authentic Japanese
      retraurants, dojos, etc. I'm also looking for an english plain-text
      translation. I'm guessing that many of you may have just those
      resources. Any pointers as to where I could find this (in .pdf, .jpg,
      etc. format) on the web would be much appreciated. Can anyone help?

      Thanks,

      John
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2005
        John,
        I'm not sure what you mean by the text of the Nembutsu. The
        Nembutsu is only 6 Japanese characters, "NA-MU A-MI-DA BUTSU"
        and the translation is simple "I take refuge" (namu) "in Amida Buddha"
        (Amida Butsu). It really can't get any simpler than that. There are
        countless books written on the Nembutsu, of course. If you want
        recommendations, let us know.
        Hope this helps,

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2005
          John,
          Here's the Nembutsu in Chinese kanji:

          http://www.ekoji.org/Namu.jpg

          I was doing a google search looking for the text of the Nembutsu. I
          came by this yahoo group, but couldn't find the files I am looking for
          after digging deeper. I'm hoping to find a picture or electronic
          version of the Nembutsu prayer in Kanji with hirigana on the side or
          top of each Kanji character (often called furigana). This is the
          typical style of the Nembutsu you see in authentic Japanese
          retraurants, dojos, etc. I'm also looking for an english plain-text
          translation. I'm guessing that many of you may have just those
          resources. Any pointers as to where I could find this (in .pdf, .jpg,
          etc. format) on the web would be much appreciated. Can anyone help?

          Thanks,

          John

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2005
            John,
            This one I made and was later reduced in file size in the "files" section of the home page (Nembutsu bookmark)

            Gassho,
            Aaron

            Shin02143@... wrote:
[...]

            Buddhism religionAmida

            The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

            Shinran Shonin