one more quetion, please

  • Oelund Fairking
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
      What can you tell me about jinshin?

      Gassho,

      Ryk
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
        I believe jinshin and shinjin are the same, used interchangeably
        by Shinran, or so Rev. Nakagaki once told me.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
          They may have been used interchangeablly in Shinran's time but in modern times I believe
          that there is a difference - shinjin focussing on faith and jinshin focussing on compassion,
          similar but not the same. It also would depend on the relationship of the characters and
          their nuances; also I would want to know if the characters of the two "words" are the same
          or different and how they are placed with respect to each other.

          Anyone have access to the actual characters in modern chinese (with classical overtones)?

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005

            In a message dated 11/1/05 8:42:33 PM, lotusaware@... writes:

            They may have been used interchangeablly in Shinran's time but in modern times I believe
            that there is a difference - shinjin focussing on faith and jinshin focussing on compassion,
            similar but not the same.

            I do not read Chinese or Japanese. I am just passing along what Rev. Nakagaki
            said to me, that shinjin and jinshin were used interchangeably by Shinran. Is there
            a point to this discussion? :)

          • Clifton Ong
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
              Hi,
              i think when you mean "jinshin [M" it means "Deep
              Faith", as in the "Two Kinds of Deep Faith “ñŽí[M"
              in Shan-dao's "Commentary on the Contemplation Sutra".
              In the Kyogyoshinsho Shinran Shonin uses it to explain
              Shinjin MS.
              Gassho

              --- Shin02143@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 11/1/05 8:42:33 PM,
              > lotusaware@... writes:
              >

              > > They may have been used interchangeablly in
              > Shinran's time but in modern
              > > times I believe
              > > that there is a difference - shinjin focussing on
              > faith and jinshin
              > > focussing on compassion,
              > > similar but not the same.
              > >

              > I do not read Chinese or Japanese. I am just passing
              > along what Rev. Nakagaki
              > said to me, that shinjin and jinshin were used
              > interchangeably by Shinran. Is
              > there
              > a point to this discussion? :)
              >
              > gassho,
              > Rick

              Gassho, Clifton Dodatsu Ong (Rev)

              Email: sanath_sg@...

              Homepage: http://shinmission_sg.tripod.com/index.html

              "Other Power is none other than the Tathagatha's Primal Vow" - Kyogyoshinsho

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Oelund Fairking
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                Hi Rick,

                The reason I asked the qiestion is because I am trying to learn more
                about Jodo Shinshu through a reverend and he asked me to give a
                detailed analysis of jinshin. I also felt the terms were pretty
                interchangable, that jinshin was more or less the mental attitude
                towards the tenets of faith, and so went into dteail about what
                those tenets were. He told me they were not interchangable but
                represented unique concepts. When I went to the net to see if I
                could find more references to jinshin I found very little material.
                Hence I addressed this group hoping there would be folks with a
                greater opprotunity and more acsess to information than I had to
                help me understand the concept.

                In Gassho,

                Ryk

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Ryk,
                  You might want to email Rev. Kenjitsu Nakagaki, minister of the
                  New York Buddhist Church, for an explanation. He is very well
                  versed in Shin concepts as well as general Buddhism. His email,
                  as far as I know, is still
                  nakagaki@...

                  Hope this helps,

                  In a message dated 11/2/05 11:12:54 AM, amidatrust@... writes:

                  Hi Rick,

                  The reason I asked the qiestion is because I am trying to learn more
                  about Jodo Shinshu through a reverend and he asked me to give a
                  detailed analysis of jinshin.  I also felt the terms were pretty
                  interchangable, that jinshin was more or less the mental attitude
                  towards the tenets of faith, and so went into dteail about what
                  those tenets were.  He told me they were not interchangable but
                  represented unique concepts.  When I went to the net to see if I
                  could find more references to jinshin I found very little material.
                  Hence I addressed this group hoping there would be folks with a
                  greater opprotunity and more acsess to information than I had to
                  help me understand the concept.

                  In Gassho,

                  Ryk

                • lotusaware
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                    I have been a practitioner of an energy balancing art known as Jinshin Jyustu.

                    "Jinshin Jyutsu" was explained to us to mean "The Art of the Compassionate Man" by our
                    Japanese teacher, not a Shin Buddhist.

                    la