Re: [shinlist] Re: A Most Interesting Placen - Rick

  • Clifton Ong
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 18, 2005
      Hi Lotusware,
      "Shin" in "Shin Buddhism ¿¿½¡" is exactly what Rick
      explained, in Kanji it is ¿¿ (True), whereas "Faith"
      is ¿®, and "Spirit" is ¿À (also meaning deity), so
      they are different characters with different meanings.
      Shin Buddhism was an abbreviation coined (i think) by
      Suzuki Daisetzu. "Shinshu" is an abbreviation of "Jodo
      Shinshu ¾ôÅÚ¿¿½¡".
      Hope this helped.
      Gassho

      --- lotusaware <lotusaware@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I have been thinking about this some more. Your
      > answer was half the explanation needed.
      > Now what does the "Shin" in "Shin Buddhism" mean?
      >
      > The closest I can come to is "Faith Buddhism" and
      > that doen't seem quite right. I also
      > identify "Shin" with "Spirit" or "spirits" (from the
      > Chinese rather than the Japanese).
      >
      > What is your take on this?
      >
      > lotusaware
      >

      > --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "lotusaware"
      > <lotusaware@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Reply below.
      > >
      > > --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, Shin02143@a...
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Lotus,
      > > >
      > > > You've taken "shin" out of context. It is part
      > of the larger expression,
      > > > Jodo SHINshu, which means True (shin) teaching
      > (shu) of the Pure Land (Jodo).
      > > > It is not saying that it is the only true
      > Buddhism, just the true Pure Land
      > > > teaching. Recall that there were many Pureland
      > heterodoxies in Shinran's
      > > > time, thus his intention to clarify what is the
      > true teaching of the
      > > > Pure Land way.
      > > > gassho,
      > > > Rick

      > "Shin Buddhism" is the True
      > >
      > > Rick,
      > > Thank you for your concise explanation. The same
      > question was raised in Temple just
      > this
      > > Sunday and the same conclusion finally was reached
      > after much struggle. Your
      > explanation
      > > is clearer and I will present it to the group.
      > >
      > > la

      Gassho, Clifton Dodatsu Ong (Rev)

      Email: sanath_sg@...

      Homepage: http://shinmission_sg.tripod.com/index.html

      "Other Power is none other than the Tathagatha's Primal Vow" - Kyogyoshinsho

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 27, 2005
        That's great advice, Galen, bows to you and Prof. Matsunaga.