The "head" of BCA

  • leftcoast1962
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
      I came across the following website which says,

      "Rev. Koshin Ogui, Ven. Ying-Fa's root teacher, is currently the Socho
      (head) of the Buddhist Churches of America, based in San Francisco,
      California. An 18th generation Buddhist priest who has lived in the
      U.S. for over 35 years, Rev. Ogui has served as a trustee of the
      Parliament of World Religions based in Chicago. A contemporary and
      friend of Zen Masters Shunryu Suzuki Roshi and Eido Shimano Roshi, Rev.
      Ogui founded the Zen Shin Sangha in 1978 to introduce both Zen and Pure
      Land Buddhist teachings to Americans. His first book on Buddhism is
      entitled "Zen Shin Talks."

      http://www.cloudwater.org/teachers.html

      It seems odd to me that the "head" of BCA would be promoting "sundry
      pracrtices" that Shin buddhists have vowed not to practice. does anyone
      know if Koshin Ogui is really the "head" of BCA and what BCA's position
      is about "sundry practices"??

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
        I wouldn't worry about it. Zen practiced within the Shin context is more
        for the purpose of engendering mindfulness. It is not being presented as
        a way to enlightenment.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • lotusaware
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
          He is the Socho or Head of BCA.

          There is a historical relationship between Zen and Shin Buddhism. In fact my study of Zen
          Buddhism led me to Shin Buddhism because so many of the Zen Master pointed the Pure
          Land practitioners as faithful and enlightened beings, and indicating the sincere Jin Shin
          Jyutsu practitioners didn't need Zen meditation.

          Socho Ogui has been supporting Zen meditation as a means of cultivating mindfulness,
          not as a pathway to the Blissful Land. Further the practice is basically "Just Sitting" and
          doesn't include the usual koan work nor the sessions with a "Master".

          His interest in Zen came about because some Zen groups were looking for a place to hold
          their meetings and as a courtesy rooms in his Temple were made available to them. He
          saw that many people came from the outside for the Zen practice and some stayed for the
          Shin Buddhism. He has encouraged it this way ever since.

          He does not encourage sundary practices for BCA members.

          lotusaware

          --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "leftcoast1962" <leftcoast1962@y...> wrote:
          > I came across the following website which says,
          >
          > "Rev. Koshin Ogui, Ven. Ying-Fa's root teacher, is currently the Socho
          > (head) of the Buddhist Churches of America, based in San Francisco,
          > California. An 18th generation Buddhist priest who has lived in the
          > U.S. for over 35 years, Rev. Ogui has served as a trustee of the
          > Parliament of World Religions based in Chicago. A contemporary and
          > friend of Zen Masters Shunryu Suzuki Roshi and Eido Shimano Roshi, Rev.
          > Ogui founded the Zen Shin Sangha in 1978 to introduce both Zen and Pure
          > Land Buddhist teachings to Americans. His first book on Buddhism is
          > entitled "Zen Shin Talks."
          >
          > http://www.cloudwater.org/teachers.html
          >
          > It seems odd to me that the "head" of BCA would be promoting "sundry
          > pracrtices" that Shin buddhists have vowed not to practice. does anyone
          > know if Koshin Ogui is really the "head" of BCA and what BCA's position
          > is about "sundry practices"??
          >
          > Thanks!
        • leftcoast1962
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
            Thanks for the responses...I was just curious...left coast
          • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2005
              Hi everyone,

              My first attempt at posting a picture ended up with a red "x" so I tried a second time and it worked. Sorry for the clutter in the inbox.

              Gassho,
              Aaron

              The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

              Shinran Shonin