Re: [shinlist] Practical Applications

  • Shoren "the ever pesty"
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
      Junirai, Juseige, Sanbujo? any of those should drive out an annoying jingle. ;-)

      lotusaware <lotusaware@...> wrote:
      There it is again, the music from that dratted commercial.
      I can't get it out of my mind.
      I call the Nembutsu and it goes away for a while.
      And then it comes back again later.

      What to do now?

      The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

      Shinran Shonin

    • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2005
        Hi everyone,

        I was helping out at temple cleaning out a store room and the library. I got a handful of old books and a surprising extra, an almost five foot tall Nichiren (Sokka Gakkai) O'Butsudan! I was quite surprised when I was asked "you want it?" It's lovely and was made for the main object to be a scroll (mandala) and has doors to slide over the scrolls face.

         I put my Amida statue in it and it looks fine. I just wondered if anyone had suggestions or advice on my conversion of a Nichiren O'Butsudan to a Shin one. Barring actual wood working as I am not skilled at all. I was thinking that I could find an Omyogo scroll to hang from the center. I do need to look into finding the Shin crests ornaments to replace the cranes. they just screw on so I assume they have the ones for Shin.

        Seems kind of appropriate that my very first "Japanese" O'Butsudan is a Nichiren one. It was on a Nichiren group that I rediscovered Shinshu. It belonged to a lady who was in Sokka Gakkai in the 1970. I am not sure how it ended up in a store room in a Shin temple but hey I love having it. It's HUGE! Waaay bigger than I ever expected to have.

        Perhaps it will never be a "pure" Shinshu O'Butsudan it can reflect my eclectic nature.

        Anyway any ideas?

        Gassho,
        Aaron

        P.S. I'll try to take some decent web cam pictures of it to post in an album on the home site to this group.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2005
          Aaron,
          If I'm not mistaken, a Nichiren butsudan is mainly the Nichiren mandala,
          which is a kind of "map" of the Lotus Sutra with Nichiren's ostentatious
          signature at the bottom of the scroll. I don't know why it would be of
          any interest
          to you other than as a fascinating artifact, but who am I to judge? You
          should know that Nichiren was militantly opposed to Pure Land Buddhism
          and he would probably have a hissy fit if he saw his butsudan with an
          Amida statue in it!!

          Whatever floats your boat, I guess . . .

[...]

          --------
          --------
          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          *  Visit your group "shinlist" on the web.

          *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          --------
        • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2005
            --Rick,

            Hrmmm you seem to have misunderstood me. There was no Nichiren Mandala in this Shrine cabinet. What I receivedd was a black wooden 3 piece cabinet with drawers and shelves etc. Not a Mandala. (I have a couple of those) I plan on making an Omyogo to go where a Nichiren Mandala would have been placed.  Oddly I went through all the O'Nembutsu bashing by hard core Nichirenists and was drawn to it by the eloquent words of a defender of the O'Nembutsu.

            I guess how I use it is "conversion" enough. I was happy to give it a new like and a new home. And yes I'm sure a purist on either side would be horrified but I am not exactly a typical shin Buddhist.

            Gassho,
            Aaron

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
              Hi Aaron,
              back at home in Singapore (i live and study in Japan
              now) my Obutsudan is actually a SGI Obutsudan because
              before i became a Shin Buddhist i was actually
              involved in SGI in Singapore for a while, so purchased
              their Obutsudan. I have a scroll of Amida Buddha in it
              instead of the Nichiren Mandala, so i think an Omyogo
              Gohonzon would fit in nicely too.
              You mentioned that your Obutsudan has the crane crest
              screwed on it, actually it should be OK to leave it on
              because the Hino family crest is the crane, and Shonin
              did descend from the Hino family. In fact at Hongwanji
              priests who are in-charge of ceremonies still do a
              robe with the crane on it, and it does resemble to
              Nichiren Shoshu crest too. If you want the Shin crest
              you might have to ask BCA to contact Japan to help you
              get it.
              Do post up the pictures to share!
              Gassho,
              Clifton Dodatsu

              --- "Aaron (Shoren) Boone" <shoren108@...>
              wrote:

              > --Rick,
              >
              > Hrmmm you seem to have misunderstood me. There was
              > no Nichiren Mandala in this Shrine cabinet. What I
              > receivedd was a black wooden 3 piece cabinet with
              > drawers and shelves etc. Not a Mandala. (I have a
              > couple of those) I plan on making an Omyogo to go
              > where a Nichiren Mandala would have been placed.
              > Oddly I went through all the O'Nembutsu bashing by
              > hard core Nichirenists and was drawn to it by the
              > eloquent words of a defender of the O'Nembutsu.
              >
              > I guess how I use it is "conversion" enough. I was
              > happy to give it a new like and a new home. And yes
              > I'm sure a purist on either side would be horrified
              > but I am not exactly a typical shin Buddhist.
              >
              > Gassho,
              > Aaron
              >
              > Shin02143@... wrote:
              > Aaron,
              > If I'm not mistaken, a Nichiren butsudan is mainly
              > the Nichiren mandala,
              > which is a kind of "map" of the Lotus Sutra with
              > Nichiren's ostentatious
              > signature at the bottom of the scroll. I don't know
              > why it would be of
              > any interest
              > to you other than as a fascinating artifact, but who
              > am I to judge? You
              > should know that Nichiren was militantly opposed to
              > Pure Land Buddhism
              > and he would probably have a hissy fit if he saw his
              > butsudan with an
              > Amida statue in it!!
              >
              > Whatever floats your boat, I guess . . .
              >
              > gassho,
              > Rick

              === message truncated ===

              Gassho, Clifton Dodatsu Ong (Rev)

              Email: sanath_sg@...

              Homepage: http://shinmission_sg.tripod.com/index.html

              "Other Power is none other than the Tathagatha's Primal Vow" - Kyogyoshinsho

              http://farechase.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
                Ah, my mistake. Sounds like a "really cool" butsudan. Enjoy!