Music

  • Kyobo Peter Skye
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hey Rick,

      Once upon a time, many moons and e-lists ago, I asked if any of your composed
      classical/devotional music was available. You were in the midst of moving as I
      recall and you couldn't answer then.

      For those of you interested, Rick (and yes, I knew you were the St. Clair of
      Boston ;-) is a well-received composer and one of his pieces was reviewed (once
      in 1998 and again in 2000) by Boston's alternative weekly Phoenix:

      "There was also the welcome return of Richard St. Clair's cycle The Lamentations
      of Shinran, which was written for Struss and Calm�s in 1998 -- 16 self-tormented
      verses in medieval Japanese taken from poems by the 12th-century Buddhist
      teacher of enlightenment Shinran Shonin, the founder of Japan's largest Buddhist
      sect. This performance, with Struss sounding especially firm and radiant and the
      same superb string quartet as in the Chausson, confirmed my good first
      impression at the premiere a year and a half ago. St. Clair has created a
      fascinating sound world, both charged and atmospheric. Every clich� of Eastern
      music has been either avoided or utterly transformed. His is a stirring and
      original voice, and he couldn't ask for more committed performers."

      Shinran's 'self-tortured verses' aside, Rick has carved out for himself a unique
      niche both in music and in Buddhist art.

      Okay Rick, now that I've pimped your ride, can we get to hear it?

      With palms together
      Peter
    • Shoren "the ever pesty"
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 1, 2005
        I second that BIG GLOWY NEMBUTSU!

        Very well put Clara, thank you.

        Gassho,
        Aaron

        Shin02143@... wrote:

        In a message dated 6/1/05 3:14:50 PM, clara_llum_1999@... writes:

        << Now, Amida is working the Vow through bonpus too.

        So, what's the difference? Self-power to Other-power

        to One'n'only-power. Any way, One-power awaits all.

        Which road is shorter?

        Who cares?

        Namidambu!

        Gassho

        Clara >>

        Amen. I mean, Namandabu. :)

        The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

        Shinran Shonin

        http://mail.yahoo.com