RE: [shinlist] And what's on your altar?

  • Ken ONeill
    Message 1 of 42 , May 31, 2005
       we've got altars all over the place, and with all kinds of stuff. yes, i understand the 'politically correct' shin altar. and i also understand the syncretic and ecclectic nature of dynamic buddhism. what's more, i take it on an aesthetic note. over the past 33 years i've collected all sorts of things, including many presented to me: a mid 19th century tibetan bhavacakramandala, a casting of jizo, replicas of jizo done by sculpture Maurice Grossman, you name it. once had a yabyum ganesh pair from koyasan, inch and a half high, 6 centuries of age. for me, they represent a culture of waking up, the many faces of awakening.

      the japanese word dojo usually associated with martial arts training centers is the east asian translation of mandala. so our house is a mandala or dojo in that respect, as is the detached garage serving as the bodhibuilding dojo - close to three tons of fitness equipment, weights, all sorts of stuff - my play room dojo. soku shin jo butsu nembutsu.

      then there's my truck. no buddhas on the dashboard, nor ones hanging from the rear view mirror. this one is a soundscape altar, a cd player with hi watt speakers.

      the kitchen altar is a olfactoryscape/gustatoryscape. again, no images, just tastes and smells. remember the imaginal constructions of amidakyo? all senses, not just making pictures in your head. german surgical steel knives, sharp like razor blades for what ever i'm up to in that buddhafield. ceramics that look nice.

      well, enough of that. it's late, time to sleep, perchance to dream.

      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 1, 2005
        I second that BIG GLOWY NEMBUTSU!

        Very well put Clara, thank you.

        Gassho,
        Aaron

        Shin02143@... wrote:

        In a message dated 6/1/05 3:14:50 PM, clara_llum_1999@... writes:

        << Now, Amida is working the Vow through bonpus too.

        So, what's the difference? Self-power to Other-power

        to One'n'only-power. Any way, One-power awaits all.

        Which road is shorter?

        Who cares?

        Namidambu!

        Gassho

        Clara >>

        Amen. I mean, Namandabu. :)

        The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

        Shinran Shonin

        http://mail.yahoo.com