Re: [shinlist] Re: To LARRY re: Why I'm encouraging this Sangha dialogue..

  • Ken O'Neill
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
      Rich!!!! You didn't give us the url after tantalizing and wetting our appetites. What a grand resource. Thank you so much.
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
        Does anyone know the original Japanese of that poem? It's quite
        lovely. It would be great to know, so I could recite it for people
        over here and get laughs and strange stares.
        I have made it one of my quotes in my email signature.
        It is similar to one of the other quotes in my signature, by the
        Nyingma Tibetan master Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche:

        "The nature of everything is illusory and ephemeral,
        Those with dualistic perception regard suffering as happiness,
        Like they who lick the honey from a razor's edge.
        How pitiful are they who cling strongly to concrete reality:
        Turn your attention within, my heart friends."

        - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche (1932-1999)

        Erick
        Fukaya City, Japan

        > Yes Rick, the line is one of Issa's:
        >
        > "In the midst of this world
        > we stroll along the roof of hell
        > gawking at flowers"
        >
        > - Issa Kobayashi (1763-1827) (Sam Hamill trans.)

      • Andy
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
          --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Erick" <emptyelephant@y...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know the original Japanese of that poem? It's quite
          > lovely.

          I think it is:

          "yo [no] naka wa jigoku no ue no hanami kana"

          > It is similar to one of the other quotes in my signature, by the
          > Nyingma Tibetan master Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche:
          >
          > "The nature of everything is illusory and ephemeral,
          > Those with dualistic perception regard suffering as happiness,
          > Like they who lick the honey from a razor's edge ...

          The honey on a razor image appears earlier in
          Santideva's 'Bodhicaryavatara' - I'm not sure how far back the image
          goes though.

          Best wishes, Andy

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
              In a message dated 4/9/05 10:20:30 AM, kayoneill@... writes:

              << Rich!!!! You didn't give us the url after tantalizing and wetting our
              appetites. What a grand resource. Thank you so much. >>

              Here's the url for David Lanoue's Issa website:

              http://webusers.xula.edu/dlanoue/issa/

              He's got over 5,600 Issa haiku there on a searchable database and he's adding
              more all the time. If you don't enter anything in the search field, you will
              get the entire collection!
              (Egen)