Re: [shinlist] Shin in Japan vs America

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2005
      --- Shin02143@... wrote:
      > Well, I think Shinran might disagree, oldtimer.
      > Remember the Tannisho (chapter 1 or 2, I forget),
      > "Just say the nembutsu and be saved by Amida." That
      > was Shinran's apparent motto. The nembutsu path is
      > *made* for greenhorns, bud. :)

      All beings are already "saved"
      except thru ignorance
      they feel they are condemned.
      There is really no samsara
      no nirvana,
      awakening into reality
      just is
      nothing more
      nothing less.

      Jim Davis
      Ozark Bioregion, USA

      "It's painful to submit to our
      bosses; it's even more stupid to choose them!" (wall slogan 1968)
      "The great are great only because we are on our knees. Let us rise! "(Max Stirner).

      "Waking up After a Night on the Town With the Mead of Inspiration & Eros Insurgent"
      http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?&isbn=0-595-18213-5
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2005
        In a message dated 3/11/05 4:42:55 PM, kayoneill@... writes:

        << you see, our monotheistic mythological complex is dualistic in such
        matters, and moralistic to boot. without establishing that foundational difference,
        combined with using christocentric words such as 'faith', specious conclusions
        such as you have drawn follow. might be a good idea to take on an asian
        buddhist canonical language to enjoy the transcultural experience of understanding
        mahayana and shinran's exceptional place within it rather than reading a text
        in a manner that it calls upon what was learned at momma's knee. >>

        Specious conclusions? Hahahahah!!! I just write what I write. I generally
        write stream of consciousness. I don't claim to have any earth-shaking
        conclusions. But I do cleave to the Tannisho as one of the most profound spiritual
        documents ever penned, one which continually inspires me by its simplicity. Yeah, I
        suppose it would be nice if I could read Japanese (or Tibetan, or Chinese, or
        Sanskrit, or Pali), but I can't. What I have done is collect all available
        English translations of Tannisho. I am not a Tannisho expert, however, but it is
        interesting to see how different translators render Shinran/Yuien's Japanese
        into modern English.
        Thanks for the nice exchange, bud. :) :) (Ducking from Kayo's six-shooters
        aimed at me)

        (Egen)
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11, 2005
          In a message dated 3/11/05 4:52:09 PM, kayoneill@... writes:

          << it's amazing how different buddhisms grow to points akin to Shinran, and
          he to there's. but that's buddhism - not a theology of lalaland, but more of a
          scientific and experimental approach leading to certain universal truthes of
          human consciousness. >>

          Good point, Ken. I would love to pick Shinran's brain in a modern discourse
          absent of his classical Chinese/medieval Japanese language. I wonder how he
          would translate his ideas into modern English. Interesting to ponder. That's the
          problem. We live in a multi-cultural world. The culture barrier may be hard to
          overcome, but it may also generate some interesting synergies.

          (Egen)