Namu Amida Butsu

  • sanath_sg@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2000
      Hi fellow Godobos in the club,
      looks like i'll send out the 1st message for our e-group. Below
      is "The Essentials of Jodo Shinshu", taken out from the Buddhist
      Churches of Canada Jodo Shinshu Seiten (Service Book).

      KYOSHO – THE ESSENTIALS OF JODO SHINSHU

      NAME: Jodo Shinshu Honpa Hongwanji

      FOUNDER: Kenshin Daishi Shinran Shonin (1173-1162)

      BUDDHA: Amida Buddha
      (Buddha of Infinite Light & Life)

      SUTRA: Three Principal Sutras of Jodo Shinshu:
      1. Larger Sutra on the Buddha of Infinite Life (Daikyo)
      2. Sutra of Meditation on the Buddha of Infinite Life (Kankyo)
      3. Smaller Sutra on the Buddha of Infinite Life (Shokyo)

      TEACHING: Having awakened to the compassion of Amida Buddha and
      rejoicing in the assurance of Buddhahood, we shall endeavor to live
      the life of gratitude and service.

      TRADITION: The Honpa Hongwanji is a community of people joined
      together by the gladness of receiving the Shinjin of Amida Buddha. As
      Jodo Shinshu Buddhists, we shall seek to be humble and sincere in
      words and in deeds, to be responsible citizens of our society and to
      share with others the teachings of Jodo Shinshu. Understanding fully
      the principle of causality, we shall not practice petitionary prayer
      and magic, and do not depend on astrology and superstitions.