Re: "be a lamp unto yourselves"

  • lotusaware
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 31 6:02 PM
      Thank you. I had suspected that.
      However the choice of English words is in some cases misleading and
      fails to communicate what is behind those words. In addition the
      paragraphing doesn't support the flow of ideas; by this I mean that
      in the same paragraph there can be a movement from the absolute to
      the relative without a clear demarcation of the shift in "level".
      This promotes confusion and forces the reader to do much rereading
      to "get" the concept being communicated.

      However, I feel the effort is worth it. But I feel that the average
      Japanese-American (at least in the local Temple) won't bother. But my
      weirdness just won't let it go.

      Finally I also agree with your observation that much of this Teaching
      is better served in poetry. This can be seen in the writings of the
      Myokonin.

      Gassho,
      lotusaware

      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, <kyobo@a...> wrote:
      > >First, my problem started because there is no glossary or
      > >index in Kanamatsu's book NATURALNESS and he, in attempt
      > >to make his book more readable to a western audience,
      > >created a jargon of his own.
      >
      > Actually... not. Kanamatsu wrote his book in Japanese in the years
      right after the Pacific War and it was intended for Japanese who were
      looking for a new dimension of relationality after having been failed
      by the Empire.

      > There is, among contemporary Shin writers -- Japanese as well as
      Western, an attempt to break free of specifically Buddhist 'jargon'
      and speak in existential terms. Shin is particularly suited to this
      as more than other form of Buddhism it is based entirely on
      relationship (of the ego-encapsulated self to the Heart of Reality).
      This relationship is best expressed, IMHO, in terms of poetry or
      letters. That is why Kanamatsu, Suzuki, Bloom, and Unno succeed so
      well as authors; they speak person-to-person in everyday language.

      > With palms together
      > Kyobo
    • Kyobo Dargye
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 2, 2004
        > However the choice of English words is in some cases misleading and
        > fails to communicate what is behind those words. In addition the
        > paragraphing doesn't support the flow of ideas; by this I mean that
        > in the same paragraph there can be a movement from the absolute to
        > the relative without a clear demarcation of the shift in "level".
        > This promotes confusion and forces the reader to do much rereading
        > to "get" the concept being communicated.

        If one reads or tries to read NATURALNESS as a work of philosophy or theology
        one may well come to this conclusion.

        I've read NATURALNESS several times, each time sipping rather than chugging
        small streams of Kanamatsu's poetry. It is a book best read with a cup of tea
        in hand rather than a highlighter.

        With palms together,
        Kyobo
      • Kyobo
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 2, 2004
          Hello all,

          If you haven't already got a copy, run -- do not walk -- to your bookstore and
          demand that they carry the newly released LIVING IN AMIDA'S UNIVERSAL VOW. This
          superior collection of essays from Shin writers over the past 100 or so years is
          an incredible resource, approaching the life of nembutsu-mindedness from many
          different aspects. Lest one think it all philosophy, there are confessional
          pieces as well as essays on engaged practice.

          I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

          It is also available through amazon.com

          With palms together
          Kyobo
        • lotusaware
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 2, 2004
            Indeed!

            Please have some more tea.
            Sometimes more than one paragraph is too much.

            Gassho,
            lotusaware

            --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, Kyobo Dargye <kyobo@a...> wrote:
            > > However the choice of English words is in some cases misleading
            and
            > > fails to communicate what is behind those words. In addition the
            > > paragraphing doesn't support the flow of ideas; by this I mean
            that
            > > in the same paragraph there can be a movement from the absolute to
            > > the relative without a clear demarcation of the shift in "level".
            > > This promotes confusion and forces the reader to do much rereading
            > > to "get" the concept being communicated.
            >
            > If one reads or tries to read NATURALNESS as a work of philosophy
            or theology
            > one may well come to this conclusion.
            >
            > I've read NATURALNESS several times, each time sipping rather than
            chugging
            > small streams of Kanamatsu's poetry. It is a book best read with a
            cup of tea
            > in hand rather than a highlighter.
            >
            > With palms together,
            > Kyobo
          • lotusaware
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 11, 2004
              Hi,
              I did run out and get a copy (from Amazon.com), and have to echo your
              comments. It is fantastic and provides much room for thought and deep
              hearing.

              Many of the chapters are full of deep thought and require deep
              hearing - and it is worth it to do the work.

              This book will be around for a long time it is that good.
              Thank you, Alfred Bloom.

              lotusaware