Re: [shinlist] The Bodhisattvic Return

  • Kyobo Dargye
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 13 8:35 AM
      Shinran's final words"

      "Though I return to the Pure Land of Eternal Peace after my life is at an end,
      Yet shall I return to this world, again and again,
      Just as the waves of Wakanoura Bay return to the beach....
      When you rejoice in the Nembutsu, consider that two actually rejoice
      When you rejoice with another, consider that there are three,
      And that other is Shinran..."

      For an intriguing interpretation of this passage you might want to read the Rev.
      Marvin Harada's article below.

      http://www.vbtemple.org/vistaview/1996/vv9603.htm

      Where I think my point of departure is from standard treatments of Shinshu is in
      the understanding of 'nembutsu.' Is it the Name and/or the recitation of the
      Name in gratitude, or is it this and more? And could that more be enacted
      gratitude? bodhisattvic enactment?

      With palms together
      Kyobo
    • Robert Garvey
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 16 8:36 PM
        --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Ray King" <rayking63@y...> wrote:
        > I found this essay in "Living in Amida's Universal Vow" to be very
        > helpful.
        >
        > "Shinjin is the Eternal Now" by Omine Akira

        There are a couple of articles by Akira Omine
        published by the Center for Contemporary Shin
        Buddhists Studies and available for download
        as PDF files att the IBS on-line reading room
        (http://www.shin-ibs.edu/library2.htm)

        Religion and Language: The Soteriological
        Significance of Religious Language

        Jodo Shinshu in the 21st Century: A Return to the
        Starting Point of Religion

        Reverend Omine will be speaking at the Berkeley
        Buddhist Temple at 2121 Channing Way this Sunday,
        August 22nd at 9:30am. The talk will be given in
        Japanese with English translation by Dr. David
        Matsumoto of IBS.

        in gassho,

        Robert