Re: [shinlist] Common Ground

  • Ray Shepard
    Message 1 of 95 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hi, Richard:

      Buddhism is IT for me as well, my friend. I was simply inerjecting possible
      "commmon ground" stuff. As for Jesus cursing that tree, there is NO
      authority that he ever really uttered those words. Recent biblical
      scholarship indicates that there are multiple incidents which were edited
      INTO the "accepted/authorized" texts to conform to various church stands
      over the first decades of the Christian evolution. Also, it makes sense
      that Jesus was Judaic in his approach and delivery--he was Jewish, after
      all, and an itinerant rabbi. Jesus as Bodhisattva? That's open to
      interpretation, I suppose, although I'd rend to agree that he never saw
      himself in that light or was protrayed in that light. That concept was
      alien to the culture in which he lived and in which he was interpreted.

      Interesting stuff for deliberation though, eh?

      Gassho...
      Ray

      >From: "Richard St. Clair" <stclair@...>
      >To: shinlist@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [shinlist] Common Ground
      >Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:54:08 -0400
      >
      > >Again, Hello;
      > >
      > >Good point. In my own personal ruminations, I have hit upon two possible
      > >answers. One is that Amida is in fact a synonym for Jesus. Another is
      >that
      > >Amida and Jesus are manifestations of the Universal Compassion. Which is
      > >correct? Is either correct? Can't answer, at least not definitively.
      > >
      > >Ray
      >
      >It's all speculation, of course! :) I have a problem with Jesus as
      >Amida, however - especially when he cursed and killed a tree, very
      >strange behavior for a bodhisattva! Lots of things he said are
      >wonderful ASSUMING that the God he refers to is entirely
      >unconditional compassion and non-judgemental (but the bible doesn't
      >indicate that). However, Jesus is thoroughly Judaic in his outlook
      >and background. I don't get a really Buddhist or Bodhisattvic sense
      >from how he is portrayed in the bible, notwithstanding those fine
      >moments when he speaks out for children, or the poor and
      >disadvantaged, or forgives people. Those are very nice stories. But I
      >wouldn't take refuge in Jesus, or God, because there is too much
      >strangeness in that whole belief system, including the bit about God
      >as creator and ultimate judge, creepy stuff. Buddhism is IT for me.
      >gassho,
      >Rick S.

    • Robert Garvey
      Message 95 of 95 , May 16, 2003
        Here are some comments on a message in the long-running
        Common Ground thread.

        --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Shepard" <gaian41@h...> wrote:

        > Jesus' histrocity is an excellent point to ponder and debate.

        Alan Watts in his book Myth and Ritual in Christianity
        (ISBN: 0807013757) makes a point of stating that the
        desire for facts in the story of Jesus Christ can lead
        to overlooking the truth in that story.

        > As for the symbolic language you aluded to, sacred texts
        > are replete with them -- in all traditions. If the
        > reader wishes to take them literally, that is one viable
        > possibility, at least on the surface.

        Taken too far, it could lead to absurd fundamentalism.
        An extreme example is calculating the age of Earth by
        counting the generations in the Bible then explaining
        fossils by saying that God created them in those busy
        first six days. Such people wouldn't know Ockham's
        Razor from a Gillette Blue Blade!

        Robert