Kuan Yin

  • John
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2004
      To Warren, re: your recent comments about Kuan Yin (Regarder of the Cries of
      the World). Yes, for sure, Chapter 25 of the Lotus Sutra, which describes
      the acts of this great Bodhisattva-Mahasattva, is consistent with the Other
      Power emphasis within Shin Buddhism. She is an emanation of Amida himself,
      and represents his primary attribute of infinite compassion toward suffering
      beings. Thinking about Kuan Yin at challenging moments can remind us of
      Amida's compassion, and the fact that he is constantly trying to help us
      through the raining down on us of the wonderful dharma in a manner that we
      can personally understand (see Chapter 5 of the Lotus Sutra, The Parable of
      the Herbs). I might add, that by you recognizing that "the Lotus Sutra is a
      remarkable text", reflecting that you have clearly studied it and come to
      appreciate it's special nature, the Bodhisattva-Mahasattva Samantabhadra is
      looking after you, my dharma-friend. -Daigyo