Fwd: the wheel of analytical meditation

  • Zoh no kami Ku
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004

      Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:49:22 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Zoh no kami Ku
      Subject: the wheel of analytical meditation
      To: Venerable Nyima Dorje Bhikshu ,
      Eloise Neiss ,
      Eloise Neiss 2 , Eric Jia ,
      Garrett Kelly ,
      Gephel Konchog ,
      BuddhaDhamma List ,
      Charles Neiss , Chokyi ,
      Crawdad Nelson , Dan Duffy ,
      Aaron Faught

      This is about the 5-day teaching i'll be going to on sunday with Khentrul Lodro Thaye Rinpoche, on 'The Wheel of Analytical Meditation' by Mipham Rinpoche, the great Nyingmapa 19th-century scholar-yogi. 'Calm and Clear' is a commentary by Tarthang Tulku. Here is an introduction followed by the actual text. Enjoy!

      -erikku

      The basic state of meditation, though, which can be defined as attentiveness to the nature of mind, is common to both sutra and tantra, and in Calm and Clear the basic techniques of Buddhist meditation are described formally and in detail. These techniques taught by Lama Mipham, a great Nyingma master of the 19th century, are modifications of concentration and insight meditation. The process begins by visualizing an image of one's greatest desire -- usually a man or a woman -- in front of one and holding it. This develops concentration. Then through a process of analytical deconstruction of the objects that appear in the mind a sense of the ephemeral, impermanent nature of existence increases along with an awareness of the unsatisfactoriness of being human. Turning from object to subject, an examination of the watcher who is performing this meditation produces no sense of an 'I', of an ego, or of anything substantial. The result is an unattached flow of awareness of whatever arises in the mind. With practice, which increases in efficacy like the velocity of a falling object, a sense of the spaciousness of existence and awareness develops that is inseparable from every sensory perception, thought or emotion. The unity of emptiness and bliss in all our experience is the final fruit of this oh so simple meditation technique.'

      THE WHEEL OF ANALYTIC MEDITATION

      1
      The cause of confusion and frustration in life
      Is the virulent passion of the mind.
      Distortion and dispersion, the causes of passion,
      Must be replaced by incisive attentiveness.

      Method of Meditation

      2
      Imagining an image before one
      Of whatever is desired most
      And distinguishing the five groupings of elements
      Begin to analyze the imaginary body.
      3
      Flesh, blood, bones, marrow, fat and limbs,
      Sense organs, internal organs and cavities,
      Faeces, urine, worms, hair and nails --
      Distinguish the foul parts of the body.
      4
      Categorize and classify these parts
      By composition and sensory field.
      Then divide and analyze them
      To irreducible particles.
      5
      Looking for arising desire for any part,
      See this 'body' as nothing but foul fragments.
      Remember it as a dirty machine or frothing scum,
      Or a heap of sticks, stones and pus.
      6
      When this flow of insight ceases,
      Examine the nature, the composite complexity,
      Of feeling and conceptualization,
      Reaction associations and consciousness.
      7
      Seeing the image as a bubble or mirage,
      A banana tree or magical illusion,
      There will be no desire for it.
      So let the stream of insight flow until it vanishes.
      8
      Do not attempt to prolong the glow
      But proceed and examine another image
      So that all corrupted perceptions
      Are seen as unfounded fabrications.
      9
      Watching these baseless fabrications,
      Seeing insubstantial phenomena arise
      Only to dissolve in an instant,
      Is the right way of contemplation.
      10
      Aware that all worlds of the past have perished
      And deducing the inevitable decay
      Of the worlds of the present and future,
      Discover the cause of suffering in conditioned existence.
      11
      Knowing that all creatures are born to die
      Suddenly and alone
      And that all forms of life go through changes,
      Look at the transience of the fabric of existence.
      12
      In short, whatever forms exist,
      Impermanent and transitory,
      Are illuminated in contemplation
      By the power of each mind.
      13
      As each synthetic desire-image arises,
      Shimmering like a bubble, cloud or lightning flash
      Let the stream of insight flow
      Enlightening until it vanishes.
      14
      Then, in the complex multiplicity of becoming
      Watch each momentary state of the flux
      For the nature of inherent suffering
      And the illusive pleasure that will surely
      Become subsequent suffering.
      Contemplate to capacity
      All the pain of the human condition,
      The bodymind contrivance as the basis of it all.
      15
      Through this intrinsic defect of bodymind
      Not even so much as a needlepoint
      Of its alloyed fabric is free
      From the taint of suffering.
      16
      So it is called the origin of suffering,
      A foul sewer, a fiery pit
      Or a cannibal island.
      Retain this realization until it fades.
      17
      With final insight into suffering
      Search in this complex, transient heap
      For whatever is thought to be I,
      Seeing it to be empty of self.
      18
      Like a waterfall or shower of rain
      Or like an empty house,
      Let the state of certainty
      Stay until it vanishes.
      19
      When this realization fades,
      Examine methodically as before.
      Watch a suitable diversity of images
      Sometimes ignoring the precedent order.
      20
      Searching for the meaning again and again
      Sometimes look at others' constitutions
      Sometimes investigate one's own contrivance
      And sometimes examine all of conditioned existence.
      21
      So all attachment is broken. In brief,
      Rejecting all thought but this fourfold examining --
      Diversity, transience, pain and Emptiness --
      Constantly turn this wheel of meditation.
      22
      Directing the clear light of understanding
      Upon every kind of distorted image,
      The unbroken stream
      Of Practice increases
      Like a raging prairie fire.
      23
      Throughout all previous lives, the 'I',
      Distorting, obscuring and scattering,
      Created a stream of daydreams and mistakes.
      Composure must replace that delusion.
      24
      When scattered energy has been consumed,
      And the antidote, examining mind, is still,
      When no obstruction arises in mind,
      Relax in equilibrium.
      25
      With the revival of mental activity
      Continue analysis as before.
      Always keep presence of mind
      And mindfulness of the realization.
      26
      When one becomes forgetful
      And passion arises,
      Take this examining to it
      As a sword to an enemy.
      27
      Practice of watchful examining,
      Like a light in darkness
      Destroys the last vestiges
      Of injurious passion.
      28
      Insofar as imperfection is understood
      And conditioned human nature seen as it is,
      So the utmost serenity is known
      And the sheer purity of the Great Beyond.

      Progress Along the Path

      29
      Recognizing through constant meditation
      The complexity and the transience,
      The pain and the absence of substance
      Of all conditioned existence, own and other's bodyminds,
      30
      Mind is imbued with full comprehension
      And even without effort,
      When vision is phantasmal,
      The head of passion is subdued.
      31
      Free from the breakers of passion,
      The ocean of mind is unruffled and clear.
      Attuned to self-possessed purity,
      Concentration in peace and calm are gained.
      32
      One-pointed absorption in mind
      Diffuses in piercing insight.
      This is the way of initiation,
      The common door to the three careers.

      Significance of Achievement

      33
      Arising in mutual dependence, seen as magical illusion,
      All things are primordially unborn,
      Essentially Empty, with no substantial base,
      Free from the extreme of the one or the many.
      34
      With realization of indivisible space,
      All things identified, the Womb of Buddha Bliss,
      Beyond confusing existence and peaceful cessation,
      All pervasive is the Great Transcendence of Suffering.
      35
      Supremely pure and blissful,
      It is called the Great Unconditioned.
      Here, the attribute of the Great Self
      Is unsurpassed and transcendent.
      36
      In the Tantras, Ati, Anu and Mahayoga,
      Great Bliss and Pure Space come together
      In spontaneity of simple understanding,
      Thereupon, completing the path.
      37
      Following the instruction of a Buddha Lama,
      Practice the initial purification of the common path
      Of both Sutra and Mantra Mahayana
      In the tradition of Direct Revelation of the Great Perfection.
      38
      Withdraw from the bewilderment of conditioning
      On this excellent path of mindfulness
      First by virtue of examination
      Passionate reactions no longer occur.
      Then with certainty in the Emptiness of bodymind,
      All desire for the three worlds is destroyed.
      39
      Gradually all trace of delusion
      Vanishes into the relief of Emptiness
      And dispensing with the antidote of rejection,
      All 'I' and 'mine' is finally destroyed.
      40
      Clinging to nothing, but aspiring to compassion,
      Like a bird in the sky of simplicity,
      Gliding through life without fear,
      The Buddha-son reaches the highest plane.
      41
      In the teaching of the Noble Tradition
      This purification by mindfulness,
      Preparation of calm and clarity,
      Has crucial stress in the three careers.
      42
      In continuous practice of inspecting mind,
      Purifying through examination,
      And finding the smallest of obstacles,
      The slightest trace of passion,
      43
      Scrutiny facilitates serenity.
      Just as gold when purified by fire
      Becomes malleable, soft and pliant,
      So mind, freed from desire, is made responsive
      44
      In the Sutras it is said that
      Ritual offering to the Triple Gem
      For a thousand years of a god,
      Is less beneficial than recognition
      Of transience, Emptiness, and selflessness
      For the instant of a finger snap.
      45
      Expressing the fourfold truth of the Mahayana
      And explaining the eighty four thousand topics
      Are equal in value, said the Buddha.
      Meditating upon the meaning of this reaching
      Essentially identical to innumerable Sutras,
      Then committing oneself to this form of practice,
      A vast source of knowledge is easily found
      Leading rapidly to liberation.
      46
      By virtue of this explanation
      And by power of the nectar of detachment
      May all beings suffering these painful times
      Attain a state of peacefulness.

      These verses were written by Mi-pham rNam-par
      rGyal-ba in the Iron Hare year [ 1891 ]
      on the eighteenth day of the month of the Pleiades.
      May all beings be happy!

      May all mother sentient beings, boundless as Space, have happiness and the causes of happiness.
      May they be liberated from suffering and the causes of suffering.
      May they never be separated from the happiness which is free from sorrow.
      May they rest in equanimity, free from attachment and aversion.

      "The thoughts of believing in a self-entity persistently tie knots in the sky. Beyond bondage and beyond liberation -- these are the primordial attributes of the spontaneously perfect Buddha." -- Guhyagarbha Tantra

      "Your self-partiality is at the root of all your illusions. There aren�t any illusions when you don�t have this preference for yourself." ~ Bankei (1622-1693)

      Do you Yahoo!?

      > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/msword name=THE WHEEL OF ANALYTIC MEDITATION.doc

      May all mother sentient beings, boundless as Space, have happiness and the causes of happiness.
      May they be liberated from suffering and the causes of suffering.
      May they never be separated from the happiness which is free from sorrow.
      May they rest in equanimity, free from attachment and aversion.

      "The thoughts of believing in a self-entity persistently tie knots in the sky. Beyond bondage and beyond liberation -- these are the primordial attributes of the spontaneously perfect Buddha." -- Guhyagarbha Tantra

      "Your self-partiality is at the root of all your illusions. There aren�t any illusions when you don�t have this preference for yourself." ~ Bankei (1622-1693)

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Jose Tirado
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
        Hello,
        It is a joy to be reminded of my own training in Vajrayana through the lineage of both Kagyu and Nyingma masters received through Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche.  However, and this applies to the other person whose ostensibly sincere messages have caused a bit of a ruckus here recently, this list is a "Shinlist" and as such, using it to otherwise advertise ones own teachings or practices or craziness I personally find offensive.

        Look, people here try really hard to maintain civility and calm while creating a space for a "cyber-sangha".  Many of us have labored long and hard under many other schools and practices, only to find that the teachings under the rubric of "Shin Buddhism" have reached us in ways nothing else ever did.  SO please, respect our desire and stop this.  Its not Buddhist, its hijacking someone elses screen for your own aggrandizement.  There are many places available to discuss Vajrayana, or Native American wisdom and perhaps even I offline might occasionally drop in to share my own understandings.  But I am now fed up with this and am asking you and all those who use this list for your own twisted needs, to STOP!
        in gassho,
        Jos� (Kokai)

        Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:49:22 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Zoh no kami Ku
        To: Venerable Nyima Dorje Bhikshu ,
        "Vijita S." ,
        Wesley John-Cyprian Neiss ,
        Zachariah Meints ,
        Shannon Block ,
        Stephen Sparks ,
        Pavel Nadstoga ,
        Rachel Schraeder ,
        Robert Krzanowski ,
        Matt Yosemite ,
        Melanie Walker 2 ,
        Melanie Walker ,
        Micah Horvat ,
        Michael Taihei-Ai Walters ,
        Nathan Kikulski ,
        Nick Skarzynski ,
        Mary and Ernest Porter ,
        Keith Jackson , Kim Davies ,
        Kyle Zielinsky ,
        Levi Jacobs ,
        Lukyan Mraz , Henry Babcock ,
        Israel Perlov , Jack Cassada ,
        Jed Maclaurin ,
        Jennifer Whalen ,
        Joey Angelakis ,
        John Allen Gibel , Katy Gunin ,
[...]

        From the taint of suffering.
> [...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

        > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/msword name=THE WHEEL OF ANALYTIC MEDITATION.doc

        May all mother sentient beings, boundless as Space, have happiness and the causes of happiness.
        May they be liberated from suffering and the causes of suffering.
        May they never be separated from the happiness which is free from sorrow.
        May they rest in equanimity, free from attachment and aversion.

        "The thoughts of believing in a self-entity persistently tie knots in the sky. Beyond bondage and beyond liberation -- these are the primordial attributes of the spontaneously perfect Buddha." -- Guhyagarbha Tantra

        "Your self-partiality is at the root of all your illusions. There aren�t any illusions when you don�t have this preference for yourself." ~ Bankei (1622-1693)

        "Thus, when one has boarded the ship of the Vow of great compassion and sailed out on the vast ocean of light, the winds of perfect virtue blow softly and the waves of evil are transformed. The darkness of ignorance is immediately broken through, and quickly reaching the land of immeasurable light, one realizes great nirvana and acts in accord with the virtue of Samantabhadra. Let this be known."
        --Shinran Shonin, KGSS II 72-78

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • D K F
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
          --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, Jose Tirado <nodozejoze@y...> wrote:
          ...this list is a "Shinlist" and as such, using it to otherwise
          advertise ones own teachings or practices or craziness I personally
          find offensive.

          > Look, people here try really hard to maintain civility and calm
          while creating a space for a "cyber-sangha". Many of us have labored
          long and hard under many other schools and practices, only to find
          that the teachings under the rubric of "Shin Buddhism" have reached
          us in ways nothing else ever did. SO please, respect our desire and
          stop this. Its not Buddhist, its hijacking someone elses screen for
          your own aggrandizement. There are many places available to discuss
          Vajrayana, or Native American wisdom and perhaps even I offline might
          occasionally drop in to share my own understandings. But I am now
          fed up with this and am asking you and all those who use this list
          for your own twisted needs, to STOP!
          > in gassho,
          > José (Kokai)

          AMEN!! ;)