Re: [shinlist] Digest Number 61

  • mayutzu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
      Howdy,

      That's great news, Clifton, thanks for informing us. Rick, my last name
      is Wilson. My book on Buddhism in New York/New Jersey/Connecticut came out a
      few months ago and I work for Tricycle, so there's a slight chance you've
      seen my name somewhere, but still I'd be surprised. The gathas are pretty
      cool, but if the ABSC publishes them it won't be soon--we've already got a
      lot on our plate. If they're not already on your website I'd urge you to put
      them there, it really was nice to hear a fully modern, Westernized voice
      proclaiming the ancient tune of shinjin. Sounds like the Boston sangha is
      small compared to most BCA churches, but you know that's not all that small
      for a Dharma study group in many other American lineages, like the Community
      of Mindfulness or Shambhala. Right now I'd take one or two sangha members and
      be thankful, I just moved to North Carolina and there's no Jodo Shinshuists
      in the whole state (so far as I can tell). You two take care!

      Peace be with you,
      Jeff
    • Brother Shak El
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
        Jeff,

        There used to be a Shin Buddhist by the name of JOhn
        Esse in North Carolnia. He founded a short lived group
        in the early 90's called the Shin Buddhist Fellowship.
        He turned to over to Diane Ames (Sangha Newsletter)
        but the organization went nowhere. Last I heard from
        him he stilled lived and practiced Shin there. Maybe
        Rick knows more or Dr Bloom might know.

        Jim Davis

        =====
        Articles by Jim Davis can be accessed at:http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/reg/register_topic.gsp?auth_id=758105