891Re: [shinlist] Seeking Monastic Ordination in the Sangha

  • Richard St. Clair
    Mar 1, 2004
      Jeff,

      It is hard to advise you, asyou have not indicated which branch
      or 'sect' of Buddhism you prefer. However, this list is for Shin
      Buddhism, and there is no monastic tradition in our sect. We do
      have ordained ministers, however, if that is of any interest to you.
      But the emphasis in Shin is not on following the precepts per se but
      rather on entrusting in the Primal Vow of Amida Buddha and
      living the transformative Nembutsu way as it becomes manifest in our
      individual lives.

      good luck and gassho,
      Shaku Egen
      (Rick S.)

      I am now 50 years old. My last child is now grown and about to leave home,
      as he is fully independent. I am no longer married. My parents and my
      children have given their permission for me to seek ordination,
      therefore I would
      like to ordain and spend the remainder of this lifetime as a monastic
      follower of
      the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha, teaching and counseling students in what I
      have come to embody, which is meditation (samadhi), wisdom (panna) and ethics
      (sila).

      Please tell me if you are able to offer such a one as myself an ordination
      program, or you know of one.

      Kindest regards,

      Jeff Brooks
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic