3380Re: [shinlist] Re: Sochi Ogui Tricycle Interview/ NY Times Article

  • jrdavis
    Jun 25, 2006
      It was a dream intiationary experience that I was hinting at which is told in his wife's letters.

      jim

      Andrew <muanamiuk@...> wrote:
      Shinran turned to the gate of the Pure Land after encountering his
      Master Honen Shonin and sincerely listening to the Dharma at his
      retreat for a period of 100 days.He did not have to undergo a
      tantric initiation before he could turn to Other-power.

      One does not need to follow the path of sages before entrusting
      oneself to Amida's Original Vow. The Pure Land Way is complete in
      itself. Shinran goes into this in depth in his discussion of the
      18th, 19th and 20th Vows in Chapter VI of the KGSS. The teaching of
      our Great Master is just as valid now as it was in the 13th Century.

      Gassho

      Andrew

      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, jrdavis wrote:

      > Shinran tried for over 20 years self-power practices to no avail
      and only then he turned to other-power path by way of a tantric
      initation. Westerners may need to take the same path so to speak.
      They need to try self-power before they can realize the reality of
      the other power. I

      > jim
      >
      > Andrew wrote:
      > I for one am always grateful to hear of Jodo Shinshu being
      dicussed
      > in mainstream publications. However it is a poor showing by the
      BCA
      > if there coverage is occasioned only through their adoption of
      > practices, such as zazen, that appeal to a mainstream audience.
      >
      > Which raises the question why do BCA temples now teach meditation?
      > Is it only to 'get more bums on seats' or is there a wider
      > implication? If there is such a reason it is one that obviously
      > eluded Shinran who specificaly rejected this practice or Rennyo,
      the
      > great restorer of Jodo Shinshu, who went faced with the imminent
      > disintergration of the Sangha, found no need to recourse to
      > practices outside of the tradition in order to rebuild it.
      >
      > Rennyo wrote:
      >
      > "Now - whatfs the purpose of monthly meetings in our sect?
      >
      > Lay people, lacking wisdom, spend their days and nights in vain.
      > Their lives pass by meaninglessly, and in the end they fall into
      the
      > three evil paths.
      >
      > The meetings are occasions when - even if only once a month - just
      > those who practice the Nembutsu should at least gather in the
      > meeting place and discuss their own faith - and the faith of
      others.

      > Recently, however, because matters of faith are never discussed in
      > terms of right and wrong, the situation is deplorable beyond words.
      >
      > In conclusion, there must definitely be discussions of faith from
      > now on among those at the meetings. For this is how we are to
      attain
      > birth in the true and real land of utmost bliss."
      >
      > If one takes to heart the words of Rennyo in this letter, and then
      > one relates it to the current state of the Shin Sangha in the west
      > today in which faith is never discussed in terms of what is right
      > and wron; one will see the right way forward to building a Sangha
      > based firmly on deep listening to the Buddha Dharma and the
      > awakening of Pure Faith.
      >
      > In Gassho
      >

      > Andrew
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links