3369Re: Questions

  • lotusaware
    Jun 17, 2006
      Have you seen the latest issue of Tricycle Magazine?
      It includes an interview with Socho (Bishop) Ogui of the BCA. He is
      very clear and his answers are both cogent and helpful.

      Forgive my poor interpretation; if I have misquoted the error is mine.

      Among other things he offers a distinction between

      "self-power" and "Other-Power" and then distinguishes them

      with "Absolute Other Power" in which the distinction of "self" and
      "Other" disappears.

      He also offers a clarification about the position of Jodo Shin Shu
      over the subject of meditation. He points out that meditating is a
      natural activity of life and when treated as such is no different than
      any other part of life - so there is no problem. However if one is
      seeking "merit" or is meditating because it will lead to a result this
      it is not recommended. He also puts this subject in its historical
      context and feels that circumstances have changed which makes the
      issue a non-issue.

      Remember this is the man for whom "Namu Amida Butsu" is one answer,
      and having a good game of golf is another!

      Shaku Renjo (John)

      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron \(Joushin\) Boone"
      <shoren108@...> wrote:

      > Truer words were not spoken LMC.
      > It is indeed both so simple and yet so deep it can make your head
      hurt. I am trying to muddle through but thankfully there isn't an
      exam. Well it's an easy one, it's "Namu Amida Butsu".

      > Gassho,
      > Aaron (Shaku-Joushin)
      >
      > landmarkcommand <landmarkcommand@...> wrote:
      > My deepest thanks to both Aaron and Chris for taking the
      time and
      > trouble to answer my queries.
      > It certainly appears at one and the same time, to be both a very
      > simple practice and yet of a depth of complexity that might also
      > intimidate if I thought about it too much. Very glad that there are
      > people, both veterans and newer, who are here to help the seeker.
      >
      > Thanks again.
      >

      > The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who
      cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any
      religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its
      basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one,
      the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the
      person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person
      attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

      > Shinran Shonin

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic