3365Re: [shinlist] Questions

  • Aaron (Joushin) Boone
    Jun 15, 2006
      L.M.C,
      I have heard both Namu & Namo both fully sounded vowels. Namo Amito Fo is a Chinese varriant. And the Nembutsu is not a "mantra" per say but....I am not well versed enough to explain except that it is an expression of grattitude. It has no "powers" like a Mantra, it doesn't "gain" any special abilities in that fashion.

      I hope that helped a little.

      Gassho
      Aaron (Shaku Joushin)

      landmarkcommand <landmarkcommand@...> wrote:
      "Namu-Amida- Butsu"
      Is the "U" in 'namu' pronounced with a LONG U as in "mute" or a short
      U as in "must"?

      Does every school of Pureland Buddhism use the same mantra?
      I have read somewhere that "ah mi tuo fo" as best as I can recall it,
      is also a mantra used, please correct if not true.

      Also I read that DT Suzuki the dean of Zen scholars, towards the end
      of his life became a Pureland Buddhist, abandoning Zen, that is quite
      an endorsement.

      The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

      Shinran Shonin

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic