3177Re: [shinlist] Re: Homyo date is set!

  • Aaron (Shoren) Boone
    Jan 3, 2006
      I like that idea Peter and yes it does seem a bit obsessive. I'm not really freaking out about it but they have said I can choose "one" kanji and the meaning myself.
      And my Rev. Hanayama will be choosing my Homyo not the Socho. It was suggested that my wondering about what to choose is my calculating mind at work.

      I admit I'd like something pretty and I can use. But then it's sort of shown as a thing to aquire. They did say "Get the most favorite name yet" on the announcement.

      I am probably going with "Calm,Quiet" being it's something I need to work on in myself.

      I am just who I am I guess, it took forever to choose my Neo-Pagan name but once I found it I embraced it. I chose my own legal name in 2000 and it finally feels right. I guess this is no different.

      Gassho,
      Aaron

      Peter Kyobo Skye <kyobo@...> wrote:
      Dear Aaron,

      I don't know about your deliberations on a homyo being a product of  a
      "calculating mind."  I may be wrong but I believe Shinran meant the term hakarai
      to apply to what you try to do to bootstrap your way to salvation.  If so,
      worrying about a homyo doesn't seem to qualify.

      However, calculating mind or not you do seem to be obsessing.

      I have the name Kyobo given to me when I took refuge with Jodo Shinshu.  I have
      the name Konchok Dargye given to me when I took refuge with Drikung Kagyu (a
      Tibetan sect).  Who knows, I may be given more before I die.  The point is that
      they were gifts by those who were initiating me.

      Perhaps you should let the Socho choose for you?

      Best
      Peter

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more so the evil person!

      Shinran Shonin

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic