3170Re: Homyo date is set!

  • lotusaware
    Jan 2, 2006
      Aaron,
      Do I detect your being in your calculating mind about this?

      Consider if you were in the presence of the historical Buddha and he looked into your
      heart what would he see, what would he know about you? How would he view your
      aspirations?

      If you want to find out, stop asking others, and stop even asking your mind, and ask your
      heart - the heart the Buddha sees in you. And the answer probably won't come right away,
      so let it surface in its own time and manner. What comes will be "right" and it will come
      from your own path.

      Gassho,
      la (John L.)

      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron \(Shoren\) Boone" <shoren108@y...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone in my online Sanghas!
      >
      > Well it's official, May 21st 2006 we are having Kieshiki (Sarana) Affirmation From
      Socho Koshin Ogui at Watsonville Buddhist Temple.
      > I am excited to have an official date and will do what I can to be one of those getting a
      Homyo.They said I can choose the meaning of my Homyo and also choose one of the
      characters to use. I have until April 20th 2006 to submit a request.

      > The dilemma is I have no idea what to choose. Or rather I am not sure how to go about
      it. I will not be using "Shoren" for a number of reasons, one, it was simply something I
      came up with on a whim and later saw it was an actual name, and secondly it's The
      Reverends baby boys name.

      > I am at a loss. I do not know if I should attempt a meaning or just let Sensei come up
      with one. It's hard to put into words what I aspire to when I'm not sure of that myself. I
      really do not want to be pompous either, so not "shining glory, or other silliness. I have an
      odd problem in which anything I personally come up with I am never happy with. In my art
      I feel like that. This is not that different.

      > I thought about things that I could use to describe who I want to be or what I hope for
      myself but even that proves difficult. I came up with [ON] "calm, quiet" as a possibility of
      an aspiration or characteristic I'd like to embody or [YU] "friend" something I try to be.

      > If anyone has any suggestions I'd be delighted to hear from you. My greedy vain self
      hopes for a beautiful Homyo but something meaningful would suit me just fine to. (So I
      tell myself) So if you have something I have not thought of or you thing "ON" or "YU" have
      potential please let me know. (I'll put the 2 kanji in the pictures sections of the lists)

      > Thank you everyone.
      > Gassho,
      > Aaron (Shaku ni _______)
      >

      > The Primal Vow was established out of deep compassion for us who cannot become
      freed from the bondage of birth-and-death through any religious practice, due to the
      abundance of blind passion. Since its basic intention is to effect the enlightenment of such
      an evil one, the evil person who is led to true entrusting by Other Power is the person who
      attains birth in the Pure Land. Thus, even the good person attains birth, how much more
      so the evil person!

      > Shinran Shonin

      > Yahoo! Photos
      > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic