1869Re: [shinlist] Re: 21 questions about Buddhism

  • Heath McCarty
    Nov 3, 2004
      One of the things that attracted me to Buddhism is that it is not dogmatic.  I've considered myself to be a Buddhist for quite a while now, but I don't just accept ideas of merit, karma, or rebirth simply because they're associated with Buddhism.  The Buddha himself exhorted his followers to find the truth for themselves (Kalama sutra) and to not just accept what was told to them by monks/teachers.  In my opinion, these concepts are peripheral.  What's central is a personal experience of awakening.  If you're not already familiar with it I highly recommend Stephen Batchelor's book "Buddhism Without Beliefs".   Heath

      David Salyers <salyed@...> wrote:

      Here'a good link to a website by a Higashi Hongwanji temple in West
      Covina, CA that answers the very question you are asking from their
      perspective:

      http://www.livingdharma.org/Misconceptions.html

      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jason@j...> wrote:
      > > > 19) If someones believes in the Buddhist philosophy and way of
      > life but
      > > > rejects Buddhist mythology (karma,rebirth,gods,etc.) is he a
      > > > Buddhist?

      Do you Yahoo!?