Re: [shasta_birders] Bend Ferry Pond

  • BRUCE DEUEL
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi Michael and all,
      Mallards have been domesticated for thousands of years, and just like
      pigeons, breeders have selected them for many different traits. These tufts
      of feathers on the back of the head are one such selected trait. However,
      the ones I've seen are usually puffier - maybe these are worn, prior to
      being molted into a new set.

      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Red Bluff