Hello and mplayer

  • lukaszsczygiel
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 28, 2010
      Hello.
      Just joined. OESF forum seems to be dead for almost a week.
      I became Netwalker proud owner and have a couple questions.

      Default Movie Player has poor performance.
      Is it a matter of configuration or I shoud change player to something else (Totem player or kmplayer)?

      I tried to find a generic mplayer as its most reliable but with no success.
      What other than ubuntu feeds are You using?
    • john
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 28, 2010
        I recompiled mplayer and tried it and it had an issue with slow sound
        output when you first start it. You have to make it work faster as it
        plays otherwise it plays great.

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 28, 2010
          Can you make a package from your compilation?
          Can you describe how did You did it?
          How many packages was needed to compile mplayer on standard netwalker?

          --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, john <jmuielewicz@...> wrote:

          > I recompiled mplayer and tried it and it had an issue with slow sound
          > output when you first start it. You have to make it work faster as it
          > plays otherwise it plays great.
          >
          > On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 09:06 +0000, lukaszsczygiel wrote:
          > > Hello.
          > > Just joined. OESF forum seems to be dead for almost a week.
          > > I became Netwalker proud owner and have a couple questions.
          > >
          > > Default Movie Player has poor performance.
          > > Is it a matter of configuration or I shoud change player to something else (Totem player or kmplayer)?
          > >
          > > I tried to find a generic mplayer as its most reliable but with no success.
          > > What other than ubuntu feeds are You using?

        • Sleep_Walker
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 28, 2010
            Hi,

            Dne Ne 28. března 2010 14:22:09 john napsal(a):
            > I recompiled mplayer and tried it and it had an issue with slow sound
            > output when you first start it. You have to make it work faster as it
            > plays otherwise it plays great.

            ARM machines are very slow in floating point computation (when no advanced support compiled in for our processor). Try codec MAD which uses fixed-point computation only.

            For poor video performance I'm afraid that is caused by slow framebuffer driver and by slow software decode.

            Best regards,

            Sleep_Walker
          • lukaszsczygiel
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 29, 2010
              --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "Sleep_Walker" <froser@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Dne Ne 28. b�ezna 2010 14:22:09 john napsal(a):
              > > I recompiled mplayer and tried it and it had an issue with slow sound
              > > output when you first start it. You have to make it work faster as it
              > > plays otherwise it plays great.
              >
              > ARM machines are very slow in floating point computation (when no advanced support compiled in for our processor). Try codec MAD which uses fixed-point computation only.

              But in many cases cpu has implemented special functions. PXA has bvdd or iwmmxt extensions.
              By using MAD codec you mean using it to decode "normal" divx-ex or reencoding media to MAD?

              > For poor video performance I'm afraid that is caused by slow framebuffer driver and by slow software decode.

              Well I have about 1 fps while decoding standard avi (qvga) using totem player...
            • Sleep_Walker
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 29, 2010
                Hi,

                Dne Po 29. března 2010 10:19:26 lukaszsczygiel napsal(a):
                > --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "Sleep_Walker" <froser@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > Dne Ne 28. b�ezna 2010 14:22:09 john napsal(a):
                > > > I recompiled mplayer and tried it and it had an issue with slow sound
                > > > output when you first start it. You have to make it work faster as it
                > > > plays otherwise it plays great.
                > >
                > > ARM machines are very slow in floating point computation (when no advanced support compiled in for our processor). Try codec MAD which uses fixed-point computation only.
                > >
                > But in many cases cpu has implemented special functions. PXA has bvdd or iwmmxt extensions.
                > By using MAD codec you mean using it to decode "normal" divx-ex or reencoding media to MAD?

                Yeah, i.MX51 should support VFP (not so good) and NEON (probably good enough). There is some support in both MPlayer and kernel, but I'm not sure about its quality. Be sure to have support compiled in both.

                MAD is abbrevation for MPEG Audio Decoder (http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/), it's just well written decoder for MP3 files. It's supported in MPlayer and can be chosen with -vc option.

                > > For poor video performance I'm afraid that is caused by slow framebuffer driver and by slow software decode.
                > >
                > Well I have about 1 fps while decoding standard avi (qvga) using totem player...

                Hmmm, support for HW decode in kernel is needed :/

                Best regards,

                Sleep_Walker
              • lukaszsczygiel
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 29, 2010

                  > MAD is abbrevation for MPEG Audio Decoder (http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/), it's just well written decoder for MP3 files. It's supported in MPlayer and can be chosen with -vc option.

                  Oh, right. I am using it in zaurus already :)

                  > > > For poor video performance I'm afraid that is caused by slow framebuffer driver and by slow software decode.
                  > > >
                  > > Well I have about 1 fps while decoding standard avi (qvga) using totem player...
                  > >

                  > Hmmm, support for HW decode in kernel is needed :/

                  Hmmm, I was pretty sure that HW acceleration in netwalker for video was mentioned on oesf.org forum.
                  It's dead for a week and i'm not sure what was it all about...
                • lukaszsczygiel
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 1 11:30 PM
                    Today I found that totem works smoothly undef xfce WM.
                    The bad news is it works too smooth because it sometimes (I think it has correlation with moving cursor by optical tracker) starts to play video toofast. Sound is also a bit corrupted.

                    But the good news is that netwalker can do fullscreen video with sound in nice amount fps-es.
                    Under lxde totem plays 1-2 fps.

                    Do You experience the same behavior?

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 2 12:24 AM
                      Hi,

                      Dne Pá 2. dubna 2010 08:30:46 lukaszsczygiel napsal(a):
                      > Today I found that totem works smoothly undef xfce WM.
                      > The bad news is it works too smooth because it sometimes (I think it has correlation with moving cursor by optical tracker) starts to play video toofast. Sound is also a bit corrupted.
                      >
                      > But the good news is that netwalker can do fullscreen video with sound in nice amount fps-es.
                      > Under lxde totem plays 1-2 fps.
                      >
                      > Do You experience the same behavior?

                      Interesting. Could you provide some details like used audio and video codecs, audio quality (bitrate, sampling frequence), and video pixel size? Have you tried some more videos?

                      Thanks!

                      Best regards,

                      Sleep_Walker
                    • lukaszsczygiel
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 2 1:12 AM
                        --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "Sleep_Walker" <froser@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Dne Pá 2. dubna 2010 08:30:46 lukaszsczygiel napsal(a):
                        > > Today I found that totem works smoothly undef xfce WM.
                        > > The bad news is it works too smooth because it sometimes (I think it has correlation with moving cursor by optical tracker) starts to play video toofast. Sound is also a bit corrupted.
                        > >
                        > > But the good news is that netwalker can do fullscreen video with sound in nice amount fps-es.
                        > > Under lxde totem plays 1-2 fps.
                        > >
                        > > Do You experience the same behavior?
                        > >

                        > Interesting. Could you provide some details like used audio and video codecs, audio quality (bitrate, sampling frequence), and video pixel size? Have you tried some more videos?

                        I tried one file.
                        It was a astroboy avi movie. Resolution is 640x272, codec XVID MPEG4 25fps, audio mp3 stereo 44,1kHz. That is said by totem player.

                        I discovered it when exploring other WM's to use instead LXDE.
                        LXDE has a bug (or something) and when resumed it takes a nice bite of cpu time. It has something in common with rapid time change.

                        --
                        Lukasz Sczygiel
                      • David Reyes Samblas Martinez
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 2 4:48 AM
                          I'm using mplayer from http://debian-multimedia.org/ testing resolvin
                          some dependencies manually, installing required packages, and it work
                          very well on defaul gnome , the only "issue" is that can't play at
                          full screen due lack of xv acceleration,
                          2010/4/2 Sleep_Walker <froser@...>:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > Dne Pá 2. dubna 2010 08:30:46 lukaszsczygiel napsal(a):
                          >> Today I found that totem works smoothly undef xfce WM.
                          >> The bad news is it works too smooth because it sometimes (I think it has correlation with moving cursor by optical tracker) starts to play video toofast. Sound is also a bit corrupted.
                          >>
                          >> But the good news is that netwalker can do fullscreen video with sound in nice amount fps-es.
                          >> Under lxde totem plays 1-2 fps.
                          >>
                          >> Do You experience the same behavior?
                          >>

                          > Interesting. Could you provide some details like used audio and video codecs, audio quality (bitrate, sampling frequence), and video pixel size? Have you tried some more videos?
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          >
                          > Best regards,
                          >
                          > Sleep_Walker

                          David Reyes Samblas Martinez
                          http://www.tuxbrain.com
                          Open ultraportable & embedded solutions
                          Ben NanoNote, Arduino, Openmoko
                        • lukaszsczygiel
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 2 10:11 AM
                            --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "lukaszsczygiel" <lukaszsczygiel@...> wrote:

                            > Today I found that totem works smoothly undef xfce WM.
                            > The bad news is it works too smooth because it sometimes (I think it has correlation with moving cursor by optical tracker) starts to play video toofast. Sound is also a bit corrupted.
                            >
                            > But the good news is that netwalker can do fullscreen video with sound in nice amount fps-es.
                            > Under lxde totem plays 1-2 fps.
                            >
                            > Do You experience the same behavior?
                            >
                            > --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "lukaszsczygiel" <lukaszsczygiel@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > > MAD is abbrevation for MPEG Audio Decoder (http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/), it's just well written decoder for MP3 files. It's supported in MPlayer and can be chosen with -vc option.
                            > >

                            > > Oh, right. I am using it in zaurus already :)

                            > > > Hmmm, support for HW decode in kernel is needed :/
                            > >
                            > > Hmmm, I was pretty sure that HW acceleration in netwalker for video was mentioned on oesf.org forum.
                            > > It's dead for a week and i'm not sure what was it all about...

                            I have found what was responsible for 1fps under lxde.
                            Pulseaudio.
                            It was eating cpu even when playing music through mpd.
                            It was making me crazy as I could not disable it. So i uninstalled it.
                            It was necessary to remove also something-araneo (meta package) but it is gone and totem player gets smooth playback under lxde ans sound is also fine (before it was disturbed).

                            But any way totem player plays my avi too fast.

                            That was my solution. Have fun with fantastic Zaurus succesor :)
                          • lukaszsczygiel
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 2 11:55 AM
                              --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "lukaszsczygiel" <lukaszsczygiel@...> wrote:

                              > --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "lukaszsczygiel" <lukaszsczygiel@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Today I found that totem works smoothly undef xfce WM.
                              > > The bad news is it works too smooth because it sometimes (I think it has correlation with moving cursor by optical tracker) starts to play video toofast. Sound is also a bit corrupted.
                              > >
                              > > But the good news is that netwalker can do fullscreen video with sound in nice amount fps-es.
                              > > Under lxde totem plays 1-2 fps.
                              > >
                              > > Do You experience the same behavior?

                              > > > Oh, right. I am using it in zaurus already :)

                              > > > Hmmm, I was pretty sure that HW acceleration in netwalker for video was mentioned on oesf.org forum.
                              > > > It's dead for a week and i'm not sure what was it all about...
                              > > >

                              > I have found what was responsible for 1fps under lxde.
                              > Pulseaudio.
                              > It was eating cpu even when playing music through mpd.
                              > It was making me crazy as I could not disable it. So i uninstalled it.
                              > It was necessary to remove also something-araneo (meta package) but it is gone and totem player gets smooth playback under lxde ans sound is also fine (before it was disturbed).
                              >
                              > But any way totem player plays my avi too fast.
                              >
                              > That was my solution. Have fun with fantastic Zaurus succesor :)

                              Just installed vlc player. Has some troubles (needs to set hue under advanced options) with video and audio.
                              Video after setting hue is good and smooth.
                              No audio. I managed to get audio once with good video but vlc options seems to act quite erratically. there is a light at the end of the tunnel :)
                            • Sleep_Walker
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 3 4:31 PM
                                Hi,

                                Dne Pá 2. dubna 2010 20:55:23 lukaszsczygiel napsal(a):

                                > --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "lukaszsczygiel" <lukaszsczygiel@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "lukaszsczygiel" <lukaszsczygiel@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Today I found that totem works smoothly undef xfce WM.
                                > > > The bad news is it works too smooth because it sometimes (I think it has correlation with moving cursor by optical tracker) starts to play video toofast. Sound is also a bit corrupted.
                                > > >
                                > > > But the good news is that netwalker can do fullscreen video with sound in nice amount fps-es.
                                > > > Under lxde totem plays 1-2 fps.
                                > > >
                                > > > Do You experience the same behavior?

                                > > I have found what was responsible for 1fps under lxde.
                                > > Pulseaudio.
                                > > It was eating cpu even when playing music through mpd.
                                > > It was making me crazy as I could not disable it. So i uninstalled it.
                                > > It was necessary to remove also something-araneo (meta package) but it is gone and totem player gets smooth playback under lxde ans sound is also fine (before it was disturbed).
                                > >
                                > > But any way totem player plays my avi too fast.
                                > >
                                > > That was my solution. Have fun with fantastic Zaurus succesor :)
                                > >
                                > Just installed vlc player. Has some troubles (needs to set hue under advanced options) with video and audio.
                                > Video after setting hue is good and smooth.
                                > No audio. I managed to get audio once with good video but vlc options seems to act quite erratically. there is a light at the end of the tunnel :)

                                I was playing a bit with sound settings and it seems that video slows down when I change DAC from LINE_IN to DAC in alsamixer. Can that be source of troubles?

                                Best regards,

                                Sleep_Walker
                              • simoivanov
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 11 3:34 PM
                                  i got reasonable performance with mplayer (the daily svn snapshot with the default debian rules) with the following options (thanks for the mad tip):

                                  # == begin ~/.mplayer/config
                                  vo=x11
                                  ao=alsa
                                  ac=mad
                                  framedrop=1
                                  sws=0
                                  xy=1024
                                  zoom=1
                                  fs=1
                                  # == end

                                  without the -zoom option the video plays at "natural" resolution without glitches. with software scaling there is the occasional stutter, but overall it is very watchable.

                                  fwiw, i found no performance difference between the x11 and the framebuffer drivers. any ideas how to enable xvideo ;)?
                                • lukaszsczygiel
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 12 1:17 AM
                                    --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "simoivanov" <simoivanov@...> wrote:

                                    > i got reasonable performance with mplayer (the daily svn snapshot with the default debian rules) with the following options (thanks for the mad tip):
                                    >

                                    > # == begin ~/.mplayer/config
                                    > vo=x11
                                    > ao=alsa
                                    > ac=mad
                                    > framedrop=1
                                    > sws=0
                                    > xy=1024
                                    > zoom=1
                                    > fs=1
                                    > # == end
                                    >
                                    > without the -zoom option the video plays at "natural" resolution without glitches. with software scaling there is the occasional stutter, but overall it is very watchable.
                                    >
                                    > fwiw, i found no performance difference between the x11 and the framebuffer drivers. any ideas how to enable xvideo ;)?

                                    I wanted to do whole compilation on my own but I would need to set up whole environment for that.
                                    Can you make a package from your compilation?
                                    Even a simple tar.gz will be enough.
                                  • Sleep_Walker
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 12 3:03 AM
                                      Hi,

                                      Dne Po 12. dubna 2010 00:34:07 simoivanov napsal(a):

                                      > i got reasonable performance with mplayer (the daily svn snapshot with the default debian rules) with the following options (thanks for the mad tip):
                                      >

                                      > # == begin ~/.mplayer/config
                                      > vo=x11
                                      > ao=alsa
                                      > ac=mad
                                      > framedrop=1
                                      > sws=0
                                      > xy=1024
                                      > zoom=1
                                      > fs=1
                                      > # == end
                                      >
                                      > without the -zoom option the video plays at "natural" resolution without glitches. with software scaling there is the occasional stutter, but overall it is very watchable.
                                      >
                                      > fwiw, i found no performance difference between the x11 and the framebuffer drivers. any ideas how to enable xvideo ;)?
                                      I'm afraid that xvideo must be supported by X.org video driver (and is not). X.org uses framebuffer as video driver so there probably won't be many differences...

                                      I noticed that totem uses v4l sink as output. It seems that /dev/video16 should work as HW MPEG decoder. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it working with any other player (tried vlc, xine, mplayer).

                                      maybe anyone will be more successful?

                                      Best regards,

                                      Sleep_Walker
                                    • simoivanov
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 12 3:46 AM
                                        >X.org uses framebuffer as video driver so there
                                        > probably won't be many differences...

                                        I was't expecting much either, just wanted to se if there was any noticeable overhead from xorg running.

                                        > I noticed that totem uses v4l sink as output. It seems that /dev/video16 should work as HW MPEG decoder. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it working with any other player (tried vlc, xine, mplayer).

                                        interesting.

                                        cheers,
                                      • simoivanov
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 12 4:03 AM
                                          here's a link to the .deb file.

                                          https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B60xqLcLl-R1ZDQwYjdmODYtNjUwMy00NWU2LTk0YmMtOGMxYTIyMDE4NWVm&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 13 1:33 AM
                                            I am missing three libraries:
                                            libfontconfig1
                                            libgcc1
                                            libncurses5
                                            Where to get them?
                                            In normal repositories they are missing...

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 13 4:53 AM
                                              i probably got those from the debian arm distro, sid i believe.
                                              damn, i thought i had reverted to the original install.

                                              i'll try to recompile it on a standard netwalker this coming weekend - and probably post build environment howto.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 13 11:30 AM
                                                Thanks in advance.
                                                Now i have 8Gb sd card so I can spend some place to compile environment. A little howto wolud be welcome.
                                                I know only an outline about compiling (get gcc, devel packages, use make and look for warnings and errors).

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 13 2:20 PM
                                                  Hi,

                                                  Dne Út 13. dubna 2010 13:53:42 simoivanov napsal(a):
                                                  > i probably got those from the debian arm distro, sid i believe.
                                                  > damn, i thought i had reverted to the original install.
                                                  >
                                                  > i'll try to recompile it on a standard netwalker this coming weekend - and probably post build environment howto.
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In sharpnetwalker@yahoogroups.com, "lukaszsczygiel" <lukaszsczygiel@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I am missing three libraries:
                                                  > > libfontconfig1
                                                  > > libgcc1
                                                  > > libncurses5
                                                  > > Where to get them?
                                                  > > In normal repositories they are missing...

                                                  I added karmic koala repository for installation mplayer and it worked for me. (I installed mplayer from debian-multimedia.org).

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 14 3:32 AM
                                                    Thank you for suggestion. Silly thing. I have mplayer installed on zaurus (its working poorly because of slow cpu and not accelerated Xfbdev) and it is installed from debian-multimedia.

                                                    Recipe to make video playback acceptable:

                                                    Put debian-multimedia.org in /etc/apt/sources.list
                                                    deb http://debian-multimedia.org stable main

                                                    Change jaunty to karmic in the same file for ports.ubuntu.org

                                                    Install mplayer and kmplayer (to have gui) from aptitude (or any other method is acceptable)

                                                    Run kmplayer, load movie and watch :)

                                                    Performance:
                                                    playing in window in native movie resolution (720x300something) is smooth even in fast scenes. Playing in full screen is smooth but a bit chopping can be noticed (i would say 15-20fps).
                                                    Video shutters when changing to another application and it takes a few seconds to back to smoth play after focusing kmplayer.

                                                    Anyway, another battle is won. No need to recompile mplayer unless it can support any hardware acceleration under netwalker.
                                                  • Sleep_Walker
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 23 2:48 AM
                                                      Hi,

                                                      Dne Po 12. dubna 2010 12:03:06 Sleep_Walker napsal(a):
                                                      > Hi,
                                                      >
                                                      > Dne Po 12. dubna 2010 00:34:07 simoivanov napsal(a):
                                                      > >
                                                      > > i got reasonable performance with mplayer (the daily svn snapshot with the default debian rules) with the following options (thanks for the mad tip):
                                                      > >

                                                      > > # == begin ~/.mplayer/config
                                                      > > vo=x11
                                                      > > ao=alsa
                                                      > > ac=mad
                                                      > > framedrop=1
                                                      > > sws=0
                                                      > > xy=1024
                                                      > > zoom=1
                                                      > > fs=1
                                                      > > # == end
                                                      > >
                                                      > > without the -zoom option the video plays at "natural" resolution without glitches. with software scaling there is the occasional stutter, but overall it is very watchable.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > fwiw, i found no performance difference between the x11 and the framebuffer drivers. any ideas how to enable xvideo ;)?
                                                      > I'm afraid that xvideo must be supported by X.org video driver (and is not). X.org uses framebuffer as video driver so there probably won't be many differences...
                                                      >

                                                      > I noticed that totem uses v4l sink as output. It seems that /dev/video16 should work as HW MPEG decoder. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it working with any other player (tried vlc, xine, mplayer).
                                                      >
                                                      > maybe anyone will be more successful?
                                                      I found that there is GStreamer plugin for support V4L sink provided by Freescale itself (already installed package gst, so any other player won't be able to play it using HW decoder. Codecs available on Freescale site are newer than ours, so I'll try them.

                                                      Best regards,

                                                      Sleep_Walker