Rebutting Fay Jacobs inaccurate article in "Advocate"

  • Homo Ffectional
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2004
      I have to take quite a bit of issue with Fay Jacobs' assessment of how "wholesome" homoaffectionals are supposedly being perceived (http://www.advocate.com/html/stories/921/921_jacobs.asp). The use of the word "lifestyle" is prevalent, even on MTV, which is often considered so PC that the Leviticus crowd considers it "shoving homosexuality down people's throats", so I hope that helps humor Fay Jacobs, not to mention the horrendously horrific portrayals of gay people on Queer As Folk & the latest rendition of smear the queer, FX's firefighter show "Rescue Me" which actually had a gay character raise not one objection to being asked "Does your father accept your choice and your lifestyle"? Choice? Choice? Choice? I guess "Rescue Me" is retroactively trying to instill the propaganda that being homoaffectional is now a "choice" and even that show's incidental gay characters now agree??!??

      He can also go be happy to see salacious and to India and see the highly exploitative Girlfriends, if the trash currently being peddled in the US isn't enough.

      And Fay Jacobs seems to be making her statements in a vacuum... putting aside the examples I've brought up, (s)he also to be ignoring the fact that Middle and Southern America clearly don't agree regardless of what images are presented on TV... we are clearly not "wholesome" enough for Missouri, who voted overwhelmingly to ban the prospect of marriage equality there, Louisiana, which will be doing so on the 18th, and Ohio, whose citizens have polled that a majority would vote to ban it, something that may not bode well for John Kerry should the marriage equality ban make it to the November 2nd ballot.

      Fay Jacobs needs to take his/her head out of his/her ass and pay attention to what's going on, the trends on the ground as well as on TV... neither one bodes well for the prospect of homoaffectionals ever being considered "wholesome" enough to be allowed to marry or raise kids, let alone "too" wholesome. But that figures, what with the Advocate's choices of writers, who often tend to live in their own words - what with Andrew Sullivan, so insulated in his rich world where the Republican Party has no choice but to tolerate him, so that it takes him 4 years to realize what a danger to humanity Resident Bush is, and not just to the prospects of marriage equality... and Fay Jacobs, who lives in a gay resort town like Rehoboth Beach, where she can take it for granted that many gay families can be perceived as wholesome. Did she ever bother to drag her ass to the Boston State House, where tired protesters, standing inside and outside the building for hours, were desperate to convince
      legislators that would rather have been anywhere but there, that they were worthy of marrying and raising families, over the rabid objections of the religious wrong? No, I suppose it wouldn't have fit in her memoirs of a delusional existence where it is believed that all of gay America has it as easy as she does. Did she ever bother to acknowledge the existence of the Matthew Shepard Foundation, which is trying desperately to bring awareness to the plight of runaway gay youth, thrown out of their homes, who have to turn to prostitution in the hopes of not having to sleep under a bridge, or in some condemned building, for the night? No... I suppose having her actually write about these kinds of things would be too much of an intrusion on her cushy, "gay-friendly" existence.

      4 more years of right-wing, anti-gay, racist, warmonger Bush in bed with greedy corporate AmeriKKKa? No way!

      Restore Democracy and the wonderful America we used to know and love!
      PROUDLY vote for JOHN KERRY for President, Theresa Heinz Kerry as First Lady (Wow you mean we might actually have a First Lady who didn't get away with murder after Election Day next year?), Vanessa Kerry as First Daughter (Her and her sister are beautiful and charismatic, and not obnoxious drunks like Bush's daughters or Bush himself, for that matter - choke on a pretzel lately?), and John Edwards as Vice Pres and Elizabeth Edwards as Second Lady! Register on time (the deadline is 30 days before the election in most states) and make sure to vote November 2nd!

      Want to know who makes up the Congressional Gay Caucus? Check out http://www.livejournal.com/users/homaffectional/355.html

    • Homo Ffectional