RE: [sharepoint] Sovled: Constant login prompts

  • Bryan Hart
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2004
      This section is generally only applicable when creating your own custom code (web parts, web services, asp.Net apps, etc) - have there been modifications to the standard upload page that do things with the server file system? WSS out of the box would not require these type of permissions as it writes to the database, not the filesystem.

      "H. Beta Paul" <HBeta@...> wrote:Well, it gets more complicated. John West gave me a reference to the
      following document:

      "We have also made sample chapters of the SharePoint Resource guide
      available here
      http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sppt/reskit/default.mspx

      Chapter 6 covers the security architecture."

      Chapter 6 says that a WSS site, by default, has minimum trust policy,
      and as a result, has no file operation capabilities. To get the file
      operation capability, you need to edit the web.config file (with
      NotePad) to bump the trust level from Minimum to Medium. If gives an
      address in \60\... file structure. However this has to be done before
      the WSS site is created. After creation, it has its own web.config file
      in the root of its site. When I edited this file, it did the file
      transfer to the temp file, and then checked out every possible
      authentication, I guess because it took a long time, and then went back
      to the upload page without including the files in the site. So, I think
      it is something funny with the permissions that my site is not getting
      right. Bummer.

      With respect to the timing because of size, the files are small, and
      copy up to the external site without problem. I am going to ask if she
      made any other edits to her web.config file.

      Hollis as HBeta

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2004
        Bryan,
        That explains a lot, because I was sure they expected default
        installations to be able to write pages. I am beginning to wonder if
        the problem is that I have this in the root of the site. I'm going to
        delete everything and start over again.

        Thanks for your help on all this.

        Hollis as HBeta

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2004
          Installed SPS2003 on the Member Server, built a portal, and then a team
          site. I can upload till the cows come home. I have no idea what I did
          differently, but this construction works, and the first one didn't.

          Hollis as HBeta