Re: [sharepoint] Import Excel Spreadsheet

  • Roy Moore
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      I've got to try this - always did it from the SharePoint interface, and my
      answer to the original questions would have been 1) yes, and 2) no, only 1
      sheet instead of the entire workbook!

      Thanks Steve.

      On 1/31/07, steve <Steve@...> wrote:

      > Well, you can publish an Excel list to Sharepoint and create a list, not
      > sure about "importing" so much as "publish" and there is a difference. I
      > believe it allows you to set the parameters so that it will publish a
      > sheet
      > or the entire workbook. Look for the checkbox in the dialogue when you do
      > it.
      >
      > We do this from Quickbooks to Excel to Sharepoint all the time (Although I
      > wish there were a more direct method without so much headache).
      >
      > In Excel, go to: Data/list/create list, then check "my list has headers"
      > (these act as the list column names) then go back to Data/List/ and select
      > "Publish list".
      >
      > Just enter the normal website url and the name of your workbook becomes
      > the
      > list name you want to create. So that if your excel workbook is titled:
      >
      > Mysecretformulatoruletheworld, you select the base website:
      >
      > http://www.mycoolsharepointsite/default.aspx
      >
      > Click publish and wait anywhere from seconds to an hour depending on the
      > amount of data and you'll get
      >

      > http://www.mycoolsharepointsite/lists/all_items/mysecretformulatoruletheworl
      > d.aspx or something like that. ;)
      >
      > Hope that helps,
      >
      > Steven
      >
      > _____

      --Roy

      "The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the
      right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting
      moment." --Unknown

    • vikky belani