Site announced!

  • great_soldier_frederick
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005

      As a result of recent mentions of the debasement theory on www.Shaksper.net, I've decided to let the Shaksperians know of the existence of my website, www.wmshakespeare.com, in which I provide the as-published version of my article explaining the debasement references and themes in Hamlet and Measure for Measure.  It's a bit premature -- the site is about two rounds away from being finished (some typos, some broken links), and I only have sporadic access to the server on which the website resides and have been in any event busy with other things.  If not for the Shaksper references, I probably would not have announced the site or initiated this group until after Christmas.

      But here we are.

    • Jim Blackie
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
        I have not been able to connect with this site. Is it correctly
        displayed?

        Jim

        --- In shakespearescoinage@yahoogroups.com, "great_soldier_frederick"
        <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:

        > As a result of recent mentions of the debasement theory on
        www.Shaksper.net, I've decided to let the Shaksperians know of the
        existence of my website, , in which I provide the as-published version
        of my article explaining the debasement references and themes in Hamlet
        and Measure for Measure. It's a bit premature -- the site is about two
        rounds away from being finished (some typos, some broken links), and I
        only have sporadic access to the server on which the website resides
        and have been in any event busy with other things. If not for the
        Shaksper references, I probably would not have announced the site or
        initiated this group until after Christmas.

        > But here we are.

      • Thomas Krause
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
          Sorry about that Jim, and thanks for your interest.  There seems to be something wrong with the domain name server.  I'll email you when it comes back up.

          Tom

          Jim Blackie <classicfilmbuff@...> wrote:
          I have not been able to connect with this site. Is it correctly
          displayed?

          Jim

          --- In shakespearescoinage@yahoogroups.com, "great_soldier_frederick"
          <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:

          > As a result of recent mentions of the debasement theory on
          www.Shaksper.net, I've decided to let the Shaksperians know of the
          existence of my website, , in which I provide the as-published version
          of my article explaining the debasement references and themes in Hamlet
          and Measure for Measure.  It's a bit premature -- the site is about two
          rounds away from being finished (some typos, some broken links), and I
          only have sporadic access to the server on which the website resides
          and have been in any event busy with other things.  If not for the
          Shaksper references, I probably would not have announced the site or
          initiated this group until after Christmas.

          > But here we are.

          Yahoo! Personals

        • Jim Blackie
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
            Thanks Tom. Reading your file and think it interesting. Coins.... never thought of that before. What, if anything, do you make of Hamlet's reference to English currency in III ii ?

            Jim

            Thomas Krause <great_soldier_frederick@...> wrote:
            Sorry about that Jim, and thanks for your interest.  There seems to be something wrong with the domain name server.  I'll email you when it comes back up.

            Tom

            Jim Blackie <classicfilmbuff@...> wrote:
            I have not been able to connect with this site. Is it correctly
            displayed?

            Jim

            --- In shakespearescoinage@yahoogroups.com, "great_soldier_frederick"
            <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:

            > As a result of recent mentions of the debasement theory on
            www.Shaksper.net, I've decided to let the Shaksperians know of the
            existence of my website, , in which I provide the as-published version
            of my article explaining the debasement references and themes in Hamlet
            and Measure for Measure.  It's a bit premature -- the site is about two
            rounds away from being finished (some typos, some broken links), and I
            only have sporadic access to the server on which the website resides
            and have been in any event busy with other things.  If not for the
            Shaksper references, I probably would not have announced the site or
            initiated this group until after Christmas.

            > But here we are.

            Yahoo! Personals

            Yahoo! Shopping

          • great_soldier_frederick
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
              Jim --

              In the article(pp. 70-71), I noted:

              "Various references by Hamlet to English currency—which might have
              reflected his preference for something other than debased Danish
              currency—are also missing from Q1. His comment that his thoughts
              are "too dear a halfpenny" (2.2.273–74) is entirely gone, and his
              assertion that he would take the ghost's word for "a thousand pound"
              (3.2.280–81) reads as "I'll take the ghost's word for more then all
              the coin in Denmark (9.155–56)."

              This is in the section where I point out that the potential
              debasement references that I have identified in Q2/F are all missing
              from Q1.

              My specific point was that when Hamlet is actually trying to put a
              value on something, he prefers to speak in terms of a stable currency
              (rather than Claudius's debased and thus uncertain currency). This
              is not a critical point, and it's quite possible that Shakespeare
              wasn't being particularly rigorous here, since elsewhere Hamlet
              says: "Two thousand souls and twenty thousand ducats//Will not
              debate the question of this straw." But then again, it would have
              been anomalous for Hamlet to switch back to pounds when the Captain
              had just spoken in terms of ducats a line or two before, and in any
              event Hamlet's line here is so difficult to understand that some have
              attributed it to the Captain (see Jenkins (ed.), Arden Hamlet, note
              to 4.4.25-26).

              Tom

              --- In shakespearescoinage@yahoogroups.com, Jim Blackie
              <classicfilmbuff@y...> wrote:

              > Thanks Tom. Reading your file and think it interesting. Coins....
              never thought of that before. What, if anything, do you make of
              Hamlet's reference to English currency in III ii ?

              > "O good Horatio, I'll take the ghost's word for a
              > thousand pound. Didst perceive?"
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > Thomas Krause <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:
              > Sorry about that Jim, and thanks for your interest. There
              seems to be something wrong with the domain name server. I'll email
              you when it comes back up.

              > Tom
              >
              > Jim Blackie <classicfilmbuff@y...> wrote:
              > I have not been able to connect with this site. Is it correctly
              > displayed?
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > --- In
              shakespearescoinage@yahoogroups.com, "great_soldier_frederick"
              > <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > As a result of recent mentions of the debasement theory on
              > www.Shaksper.net, I've decided to let the Shaksperians know of the
              > existence of my website, , in which I provide the as-published
              version
              > of my article explaining the debasement references and themes in
              Hamlet
              > and Measure for Measure. It's a bit premature -- the site is about
              two
              > rounds away from being finished (some typos, some broken links),
              and I
              > only have sporadic access to the server on which the website
              resides
              > and have been in any event busy with other things. If not for the
              > Shaksper references, I probably would not have announced the site
              or
              > initiated this group until after Christmas.
              > >
              > > But here we are.

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Yahoo! Shopping
              > Find Great Deals on Gifts at Yahoo! Shopping

            • Jim Blackie
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
                Tom-

                Clearly, I should have read and digested the entire article before writing things to you... sorry. I'll take my time with the article...

                Jim

                <classicfilmbuff@y...> wrote:

                > Thanks Tom. Reading your file and think it interesting. Coins....
                never thought of that before. What, if anything, do you make of
                Hamlet's reference to English currency in III ii ?

                >   "O good Horatio, I'll take the ghost's word for a
                > thousand pound. Didst perceive?"
                >
                >   Jim
                >
                > Thomas Krause <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:
                >     Sorry about that Jim, and thanks for your interest.  There
                seems to be something wrong with the domain name server.  I'll email
                you when it comes back up.

                >   Tom
                >
                > Jim Blackie <classicfilmbuff@y...> wrote:
                >   I have not been able to connect with this site. Is it correctly
                > displayed?
                >
                > Jim
                >
                > --- In
                shakespearescoinage@yahoogroups.com, "great_soldier_frederick"
                > <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:
                > >

                > > As a result of recent mentions of the debasement theory on
                > www.Shaksper.net, I've decided to let the Shaksperians know of the
                > existence of my website, , in which I provide the as-published
                version
                > of my article explaining the debasement references and themes in
                Hamlet
                > and Measure for Measure.  It's a bit premature -- the site is about
                two
                > rounds away from being finished (some typos, some broken links),
                and I
                > only have sporadic access to the server on which the website
                resides
                > and have been in any event busy with other things.  If not for the
                > Shaksper references, I probably would not have announced the site
                or
                > initiated this group until after Christmas.
                > >
                > > But here we are.

                Service.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
                  Either way -- I'm just happy you're reading it!

                  <classicfilmbuff@y...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Tom. Reading your file and think it interesting. Coins....
                  never thought of that before. What, if anything, do you make of
                  Hamlet's reference to English currency in III ii ?

                  >   "O good Horatio, I'll take the ghost's word for a
                  > thousand pound. Didst perceive?"
                  >
                  >   Jim
                  >
                  > Thomas Krause <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:
                  >     Sorry about that Jim, and thanks for your interest.  There
                  seems to be something wrong with the domain name server.  I'll email
                  you when it comes back up.

                  >   Tom
                  >
                  > Jim Blackie <classicfilmbuff@y...> wrote:
                  >   I have not been able to connect with this site. Is it correctly
                  > displayed?
                  >
                  > Jim
                  >
                  > --- In
                  shakespearescoinage@yahoogroups.com, "great_soldier_frederick"
                  > <great_soldier_frederick@y...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > As a result of recent mentions of the debasement theory on
                  > www.Shaksper.net, I've decided to let the Shaksperians know of the
                  > existence of my website, , in which I provide the as-published
                  version
                  > of my article explaining the debasement references and themes in
                  Hamlet
                  > and Measure for Measure.  It's a bit premature -- the site is about
                  two
                  > rounds away from being finished (some typos, some broken links),
                  and I
                  > only have sporadic access to the server on which the website
                  resides
                  > and have been in any event busy with other things.  If not for the
                  > Shaksper references, I probably would not have announced the site
                  or
                  > initiated this group until after Christmas.
                  > >
                  > > But here we are.

                  Service.