Proposal for UTI specification for SGF (Apple systems)

    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2013
      Dear all,

      Patrick Näf contacted me about a proposal for a UTI specification for SGF (for Apple systems).

      From Patrick:
      ====
      A short explanation of what I am talking about:
      • UTI = Uniform Type Identifier
      • UTIs are used by applications developed for one of Apple's software platforms (Mac, iOS)
      • A UTI is a *named* collection of attributes that together identify a file or data type
      • For instance, the following can be said about an SGF file and can be collected in one UTI:
        1. An SGF file contains plain text information
        2. An SGF file uses the file extension .sgf
        3. An SGF file uses the MIME Type application/x-go-sgf
      • An application can adopt a UTI to specify that it can process files or data of that type
      • The name of a UTI is a globally unique identifier, recommended to be in the reverse-DNS format
      Right now there is no official, or even semi-official/well-known, UTI that describes SGF files, so every developer of an SGF-processing Mac/iOS program needs to re-invent his or her own UTI. Although a UTI is not very complicated to specify, it's also not as simple as just a file extension, and it can be a bit tricky to get it right the first time.

      For this reason, I believe it would be a good thing if there was a commonly accepted/well-known specification of a UTI that describes SGF files. Since this concerns the SGF file format, I believe it makes sense to publish the UTI spec alongside the file format spec on red-bean.com.
      ====

      You can find the full proposal at http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/drafts/sgf-uti-draft-2013-05-05.html

      I think Patrick's proposal is sound and should be adopted.
      What do you guys think about it?

      /Arno
    • Patrick Näf
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2013
        Hi Arno

        There has been no response to this proposal for more than half a year. I
        do not wish to speculate about the reasons for the community's
        resounding lack of interest, but what I do need is a decision whether or
        not I can continue to use "com.red-bean.sgf" as the UTI type identifier
        in future versions of my iOS application.

        My original intent was to tie the continued usage of the identifier to
        the outcome of the discussion of my proposal. Since there has been no
        discussion, I guess it is now up to you whether you want to remove the
        proposal from the red-bean.com website (that's fine with me, I will
        choose my own private identifier), or whether you want to keep the
        proposal on the website in one form or another (in which case I would
        like to continue to use "com.read-bean.sgf" as the identifier).

        Please let me know if you have other ideas.

        Cheers
        Patrick

        On 2013-05-05 07:48, Arno Hollosi wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > Patrick Näf contacted me about a proposal for a UTI specification
        > for SGF (for Apple systems).
        >
        > From Patrick:
        > ====
        > A short explanation of what I am talking about:
        >
        > * UTI = Uniform Type Identifier
        > * UTIs are used by applications developed for one of Apple's
        > software platforms (Mac, iOS)
        > * A UTI is a *NAMED* collection of attributes that together identify
        > a file or data type
        > * For instance, the following can be said about an SGF file and can
        > be collected in one UTI:
        >
        > * An SGF file contains plain text information
        > * An SGF file uses the file extension .sgf
        > * An SGF file uses the MIME Type application/x-go-sgf
        >
        > * An application can adopt a UTI to specify that it can process
        > files or data of that type
        >
        > * The name of a UTI is a globally unique identifier, recommended to
        > be in the reverse-DNS format
        >
        > Right now there is no official, or even semi-official/well-known, UTI
        > that describes SGF files, so every developer of an SGF-processing
        > Mac/iOS program needs to re-invent his or her own UTI. Although a UTI
        > is not very complicated to specify, it's also not as simple as just a
        > file extension, and it can be a bit tricky to get it right the first
        > time.
        >
        > For this reason, I believe it would be a good thing if there was a
        > commonly accepted/well-known specification of a UTI that describes SGF
        > files. Since this concerns the SGF file format, I believe it makes
        > sense to publish the UTI spec alongside the file format spec on
        > red-bean.com.
        > ====
        >
        > You can find the full proposal at
        > http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/drafts/sgf-uti-draft-2013-05-05.html [1]
        >
        > I think Patrick's proposal is sound and should be adopted.
        > What do you guys think about it?
        >
        > /Arno
        >

        > Links:
        > ------
        > [1] http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/drafts/sgf-uti-draft-2013-05-05.html
      • stuart yeates
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2013
          It seems like a sensible, logical proposal, that's probably why no one
          objected :)

          My only comment is that it seems like there's no translation in there.
          Is this because there are no user-visible strings? Because the name
          hasn't been translated?

          cheers
          stuart

        • David Fotland
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2013

            This looks reasonable with a short read, and we’ll reply again if we see any real problems.  If we go ahead with this some later version of Igowin HD and Igowin Pro for iOS 7 will adopt this standard.

            Regards,

            David

            On 2013-05-05 07:48, Arno Hollosi wrote:
            > Dear all,
            >
            > Patrick Näf contacted me about a proposal for a UTI specification
            > for SGF (for Apple systems).
            >
            > From Patrick:
            > ====
            > A short explanation of what I am talking about:
            >
            > * UTI = Uniform Type Identifier
            > * UTIs are used by applications developed for one of Apple's
            > software platforms (Mac, iOS)
            > * A UTI is a *NAMED* collection of attributes that together identify
            > a file or data type
            > * For instance, the following can be said about an SGF file and can
            > be collected in one UTI:
            >
            > * An SGF file contains plain text information
            > * An SGF file uses the file extension .sgf
            > * An SGF file uses the MIME Type application/x-go-sgf
            >
            > * An application can adopt a UTI to specify that it can process
            > files or data of that type
            >
            > * The name of a UTI is a globally unique identifier, recommended to
            > be in the reverse-DNS format
            >
            > Right now there is no official, or even semi-official/well-known, UTI
            > that describes SGF files, so every developer of an SGF-processing
            > Mac/iOS program needs to re-invent his or her own UTI. Although a UTI
            > is not very complicated to specify, it's also not as simple as just a
            > file extension, and it can be a bit tricky to get it right the first
            > time.
            >
            > For this reason, I believe it would be a good thing if there was a
            > commonly accepted/well-known specification of a UTI that describes SGF
            > files. Since this concerns the SGF file format, I believe it makes
            > sense to publish the UTI spec alongside the file format spec on
            > red-bean.com.
            > ====
            >
            > You can find the full proposal at
            > http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/drafts/sgf-uti-draft-2013-05-05.html [1]
            >
            > I think Patrick's proposal is sound and should be adopted.
            > What do you guys think about it?
            >
            > /Arno
            >

            > Links:
            > ------
            > [1] http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/drafts/sgf-uti-draft-2013-05-05.html

          • François Mizessyn
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2013
              This is OK for me too. If I make a maxiGos version for iOS x or Mac OS x one day, I 'll adopt this standard.

              Amicalement, François Mizessyn

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2013
                Stuart,

                Thanks for pointing this out. I suggest we add a second "Appendix"
                section to the draft:

                Appendix: Localization
                ----------------------
                The UTI declaration contains a single string that may be user-visible
                and may need to be translated: The UTI type description. The value for
                key "UTTypeDescription" in the UTI declaration is the default that is
                used if an application does not provide a translation for a specific
                locale. This default value should be OK for English locales.

                An application that wants to provide additional translations must
                provide them via its various locale-specific InfoPlist.strings files. In
                other words, the application must simply follow the standard procedure
                for localized applications on Apple platforms. Details are available
                from [6], the entry point to the Apple documentation on localizing
                Info.plist content.

                [6] "Localizing Property List Values", a section from the Information
                Property List Key Reference:
                https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Reference/InfoPlistKeyReference/Articles/AboutInformationPropertyListFiles.html

                Do we need to collect translations for "Smart Game File (SGF)" and
                provide them alongside the draft on red-beam.com? IMHO no, but there may
                be other opinions.

                Cheers
                Patrick