some questions about numbering

  • Francois Mizessyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2011
      Hello all,

      I have some questions about numbering. May be the answers are
      somewhere at http://www.red-bean.com/ but i didn't find them.

      1) What happens after a setup position?

      Consider the following sample:
      (;FF[4]GM[1]SZ[19]
      ;B[pd]
      (;W[qf];B[nc])
      (;AB[pj];W[nc]))

      What is the number of W[nc]? 1?

      It seems natural that numbering restarts after a setup position resumes.

      2) What happens after a MN?
      (;FF[4]GM[1]SZ[19]
      ;B[pd];W[qf]MN[1];B[nc])

      What is the number of B[nc]? 2 or 3?

      It seems natural that numbering of all moves following a MN changes
      accordlingly. But the MN spec say nothing at all about the followers!

      3) A figure starts when a FG is found. What is the number of the
      first move after the FG? 1 or is its number calculated from the
      previous move number?
      (;FF[4]GM[1]SZ[19]
      ;B[pd];W[qf]
      (;B[nc];W[rd];B[qc];W[qi])
      (;FG[0]B[nd]))

      B[pd] and W[qf] have no numbering since they are before the FG, but
      what is the number of B[nd]? 1 or 3?

      Both seem natural to me.

      Best regards, François Mizessyn
    • Daniel Bump
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2011

        That sounds good. Paul would be key. As I understand it,
        Lenart is rapidly absorbing our perspectives about
        Whittaker functions and Sara is also natural. However we
        could use Ben instead of me. (I'm willing to do it but
        I'm pointing out this possibility.)

        Dan
      • David Fotland
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2011

          1:  Many Faces numbers it 2.  The AB is a setup stone, so it doesn’t get a number, and the game continues with move #2.

          2:  I think the last move should be number 2, since it comes after move 1.  Many Faces currently shows the last move with number 1, so all three moves in this game get number 1.  I think this my bug.

          3: no opinion.  Many Faces does not support figures.

          -David