New sgf property?

  • andre@waterfire.us
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2007
      Dear sgf-programmers!

      How can an additional sgf property be included into the given sgf standard?
      I'm the author of Kogo's Joseki Dictionary, and I need links for this file.
      Oftenly identical positions of stone result from different orders of
      placements of these stones which are to be found in very idfferent
      branches of joseki. In such a case, the following joseki variations are
      included only once, and after the other order of placements a reference is
      given. But this reference is only a description, not a hyperlink, and that
      is unnecessarily complicated for me as author and the users and frustrated
      to search through the branches instead of simply clicking like in HTML.
      I propose the following syntax:
      AC[example] Anchor
      LI[example] Link
      The anchor is hidden to the viewer. The simplextext of the Link is
      displayed in like that of C[] and underlined. Clicked, the sgf viewer
      jumps to the move in the branch where the Anchor with the same simpletext
      is attached.

      Best wishes

      Andre Ay
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2007
        Andre,

        > How can an additional sgf property be included into the given sgf standard?

        If you add it as a private property all you need to do is to write it in
        the SGF file. SGF programs ignore unknown properties. As for getting
        others to support your property is out of scope of the spec, I guess.

        I take it you would like to add it to the core standard though.

        > But this reference is only a description, not a hyperlink, and that
        > is unnecessarily complicated for me as author and the users and frustrated
        > to search through the branches instead of simply clicking like in HTML.
        > I propose the following syntax:
        > AC[example] Anchor
        > LI[example] Link
        > The anchor is hidden to the viewer. The simplextext of the Link is
        > displayed in like that of C[] and underlined. Clicked, the sgf viewer
        > jumps to the move in the branch where the Anchor with the same simpletext
        > is attached.

        I don't think that this would be the best approach. Having an AC[]
        property seems ok, although I'd argue that we could use the N[] (node
        name) property for this.

        What I'm unhappy about is LI[]. Why not instead define how hyperlinks
        should be done inside C[]? E.g.

        ---------
        (;GM[1]FF[4]
        ;W[dd]
        ;B[pq]N[first black move]
        ;W[po]
        ;B[pl]C[This is black's second move.
        See his awesome {{first move|first black move}}]
        ;W[fq]
        ---------

        What do others think about such an approach?