multiple game trees in one file

  • mueller@xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 1999

      From: David Fotland <fotland@...>
      >I agree. This is why Many Faces doesn't support multiple game trees. I'd
      >rather
      >have each game in a separate file in a directory so the user can use the
      >interface they already know for selecting which one to open.

      OK, here are some benefits of multi-game collections:

      - single file: less clutter on your hard disk, easier to keep a game
      collection together, less overhead from each file taking a minimum space on
      the disk. I find it a natural way to organize games that belong together,
      such as games from the same tournament.

      - database operations: sort games by date, result, players, select games
      based on such properties

      - common game info: set common properties for all games in a collection in
      one step. For example, I collect all games from a tournament into one file,
      then set the place, date, komi, time, user etc. once for all.

      - merge games into single tree (possibly normalizing the orientation
      first). Nice for fuseki and joseki.

      All this is implemented in Anders Kierulf's original Smart Game Board, and
      I find it very useful.
      Of course the ability to operate on sets of games is almost independent
      from the specific kind of storage used. The same operations could be made
      available for sets of games stored in individual files, or in a commercial
      database, or on the internet, or wherever.

      Martin